Revival of the Pokemanz

Here aspiring creators can lay down some basic ideas of what they are going to do before submitting a finalized form for the viewing public. A good place to get some help from your fellows.

Pick which map!

First Map
70%
Second Map
30%

Total votes: 10

Loki
Gypsy
Location: In a sea of paper cranes and a sky of paper planes.

Revival of the Pokemanz

Post by Loki » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:32 pm

So after my 20th failure at beating Battle Factory and several days of map searching. I bring back the Pokemon RP to our community. Instead of having one man leading the RP this time (We will miss you, Hito :<), we will have more than one RP moderator so we won't have any of those moments where we wait for the big honcho to come back to continue our story.
To clarify, this will not be like Kao's tangent but it will still carry that (Somewhat)free-form element. I still require you guys to create a character sheet in order to prevent clueless people coming in and crashing the RP. If you had a character from the previous RP that you would like to use again, PM me or one of the admins to get it for you.

Onto the RP, while most of the story isn't solid, we will still carry the same apocalyptic Pokemon world that we know and love. But first, we need a region. This is where you guys decide to rox sox and choose which map that would fit perfectly for this RP.

The First Map:

The Second Map:

Now if you dislike both of these maps and would like to make your own, you are more than welcome to make/find a map and present it into this topic. Remember, save the cheerleader. Save the world.

(Hito, if you want to come back to take over the pokemon RP again, PM me with hartz.)
Last edited by Loki on Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Let's do what comes naturally
ImageImageImageImage
I'll be waiting in Haven.

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Re: Revival of the Pokemanz

Post by Rising_Dusk » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:47 pm

I really, really like the first one still. The second has all the cool areas needed, though, including a snowy land. (Despite it being across the ocean...) I voted the first one, I think it's small enough that it feels like a full continent, but big enough to give us plenty to do.
"I'll come to Florida one day and make you look like a damn princess." ~Hep

vesuvan
Revenent of the Replies

Post by vesuvan » Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:36 am

Rejected structure

Every pokemon belongs to a tier. This number is effected by evolution, legendary status, or extra status. The tiers are:

tier-6: Mewtwo and arceus are examples.
tier-5: Legendary, but not "uber" pokemon. Articuno, Zapdos, moltres, entei, regirock, etc.
tier-4: Some final evolutions go here. Venusaur, blastoise, Charizard and dragonite are examples.
tier-3: The stage of evolution before a tier-4 pokemon, or a non-evolving pokemon such as farfetched.
tier-2: Basic pokemon such as bulbasaur, pikachu, or jigglypuff.
tier-1: Babies, magikarp, and caterpie.

These tiers are guidelines, not hard rules. Since a higher tier pokemon has drawbacks, there is little concern of players "powergaming" by over-rating the tier placement of their pokemon.

A player may also take a pokemon that would normally fit in one tier, and move it up or down a tier if they think the pokemon is special for some reason. Pikachu would normally be a tier-2 pokemon, but if ash were playing this system, he would want his pikachu to be a tier up.

Another special case are pokemon like electabuzz. In red and blue, electabuzz would be a tier-3 pokemon, however, a player may want to use electabuzz's evololution, but does not want to increase its tier level. The player is perfectly within their right to decide that since electabuzz is not a final evolution if he intends on evolving it, that it is a tier-2 for his purpose, making the evolution a tier-3.

As a trainer, you have two dynamic stats, will and leadership. Will starts at 15, leadership starts at 5.

A trainer must use willpower to control a pokemon. This is less than the willpower needed to control an active pokemon. Even a deathly loyal pokemon can fall prey to the feral rage of a wild pokemon, so willpower is always needed. Willpower needed to control a pokemon is based on its tier.

tier-6: 6 inside a pokeball, +4 active
tier-5: 4 inside a pokeball, +3 active
tier-4: 3 inside a pokeball, +3 active
tier-3: 2 inside a pokeball, +3 active
tier-2: 1 inside a pokeball, +2 active
tier-1: 0 inside a pokeball, +1 active

For example, a trainer with six tier-3 pokemon would draw 12 willpower at all times. Making one pokemon active would bring that number to 15 because the active cost is three greater than the passive cost.

A character may end up drawing more than 15 willpower. For every point that they do, they lose 1 leadership point until the will demand is ceased. Leadership cannot be spent when it is at 1.

At the end of your character's turn, roll 1d6 If you roll under your leadership, one pokemon you have may recover by the normal resting rules as if it were out of combat.

A pokemon has the following four stats

Attack
Defense
Special
Speed

Special and speed work a little bit differently than in the game boy games. Special now represents not specific types or specify the offensive stat of some attacks, it represents attacks that focus on bonus effects. Speed determines how well a pokemon can move from different zones of combat.

Each stat starts at 2, but or each tier, you may choose two different stats to get +1.

Pokemon get non-attack abilities based on their type. They get two utility sets. If a pokemon has only one type, They may take normal as their second set. Some pokemon have special utilities that no other pokemon can have. For example, shuckle can be used to culture a nutritious product from berries over time, yet seems to have very few bug-related abilities. Think of utilities as HMs.
To be finished: combat system, attack generation, recovery, swarm fighting rules.

The above image is a mockup of a battlecard. I'm considering adding fields to facilitate using them to keep track of hit points, stat modifiers, or ultimate attacks, but that may or may not be necessary if I implement the combat on IRC.
Last edited by vesuvan on Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:48 pm, edited 5 times in total.
͎̟͕͎̯̺͎̟͕͎̯̺ĩ̵̢͉̺̹͖͔̻̣̟̙ͦ̋̍ͤ̈́ͫ̓͐͐̅͊͒ͪͬͧͅn̢̮͈̪̤̳̏ͥ̐̍̌͊͜͟͠
̵̢͉̺̹͖͔̻̣̟̙ͦ̋̍ͤ̈́ͫ̓͐͐̅͊͒ͪͬͧͅn̢̮͈̪̤̳̏ͥ̐̍̌͊͜͟͠

TwilightDreamer
Noobite Warrior

Post by TwilightDreamer » Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:36 am

I voted for the first one. I confess that I didn't even look at the stuff on it properly like Dusk did though. The first one was just shiner. <3

- oh yeah, if you try to "Click Here" to get an enlarged version of Map 2, it says you have to log in.
Image Image Image Image

Loki
Gypsy

Post by Loki » Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:00 am

The link no longer works for some reason. Sorry about this folks.
If you want a bigger version, AIM me and I will send the image over.
ImageImageImageImage

Psiclone
Wielder of the Ctrl-Alt-Delete
Location: As you can see from my avatar, I'm currently on the run from a--OH MY GOD!

Post by Psiclone » Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:17 pm

Ahh, goodie goodie, a revival. Perhaps I might actually make a character AND post a RP this time! :<

Anyhow, I voted for the second one because A) It seems to have more variation in regions (snow ftw) and B) Is it just me, or is Map #1 vertically symmetrical?
Intellectuals are like the Mafia; they only kill their own.
-Woody Allen -
ImageImageImageImageImage

Vinnam

Post by Vinnam » Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:24 pm

Ohay, my map got some votes!

I'll vote for neither, though I will say I like mine; voting for the map I found seems like padding the vote, at least to me <.<
Trainer: Brendan Creed
ImageImageImage
Lineup: Noir & Batista

Loki
Gypsy

Post by Loki » Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:33 pm

I decided to not vote for the same reason.
If you can find another one that's good, just post it in here.
ImageImageImageImage

Kaome Sky Deathand
Assessor of the Black Tontine

Post by Kaome Sky Deathand » Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:33 am

I voted for the 2nd map.
It has smaller places of potential. (isolated valley, straits, isolated island, island chain, ice area)
Cruor Vult

Hope, it is the quintessential human delusion,
simultaneously the source of our greatest strength, and our greatest weakness.

Soon we shall be One...joined in the Word.

Loki
Gypsy

Post by Loki » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:34 pm

Ending the vote on Saturday, folks. Those who didn't vote, vote now :3
ImageImageImageImage

Vinnam

Post by Vinnam » Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:09 am

With some editing, the first might be able to incorporate whatever we need.
Trainer: Brendan Creed
ImageImageImage
Lineup: Noir & Batista

Loki
Gypsy

Post by Loki » Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:09 pm

Alright, poll is over. I'll start map tiem tonight.
ImageImageImageImage

Loki
Gypsy

Post by Loki » Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:08 am

Because I am an indecisive bastard, another map.

I'd like to hear from people if they would rather use this map than Map #1

Note: Right Click > View Image to see all of it.
ImageImageImageImage

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:16 pm

"omg great third mawp"
"I'll come to Florida one day and make you look like a damn princess." ~Hep

Intoxicated Crayon
Keeper of the Keys