And the Winner is...

Let's play a game. If you win, you might just get some representation in DoE!
Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

And the Winner is...

Post by Rising_Dusk » Mon May 17, 2010 1:05 pm

Well, it came down to two heroes that tied for the highest placing. The two heroes are as follows: Now, instead of voting for this contest, I am going to take bits and pieces of each of these entries and form them into the final Caliga Err that will be in v1.15. I'm doing it this way because, well, I can! And I like both heroes enough that I'd like to use pieces of them in the end result anyway. So yeah, congratulations Fled and Oxy for tying for victors! <3
"I'll come to Florida one day and make you look like a damn princess." ~Hep

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Re: And the Winner is...

Post by Rising_Dusk » Mon May 17, 2010 1:24 pm

Caliga Err'
Council Member: Blade
Strength; Bane of Eternity.

Level 1 Skill:
Haunt
  • Passive.
    Whenever Caliga kills a unit, a Voidwalker is summoned at its corpse that follows Caliga and deals X magickal damage per second to foes around it. Can be activated to send all current Voidwalkers to stalk a target point or unit.
    Voidwalkers last 20 seconds.
Level 1 Skill:
Oblivion Seal
  • Active.
    Target unit suffers from the oblivion seal, which gives Caliga vision of it. When Caliga cancels the spell, he teleports to the target, mutes and ruins it for X seconds, and immediately begins attacking it.
    Lasts up to 14 seconds.
Level 1 Skill:
Voidwalk
  • Active Passive.
    Phases Caliga partially into the Void where he takes and deals 66% less physical damage, but takes a 66% increase in magickal damage. Caliga gains X movement speed in this form.
Level 6 Ultimate:
Tombreaver
  • Active Passive.
    While active, Caliga is ruined, but his attacks hit foes he attacks an additional X times for 14% damage and a 8% more damage for each condition they're suffering from.
This is the current product of the hero contest #4. You will notice that Haunt is basically Oxy's, while Tombreaver is basically Fled's with the self-ruin from Oxy's. You'll notice that OSeal is something I put my own twist on and am rather pleased with, since it really forces a player afflicted with it to be conservative with both their spells and their position on the field, lest they turn into Caliga fodder. I'd like to call special attention to Voidwalk, however, as I feel that it'd the best approach for the spell, but am not sure what you all think of it. I kind of like it being toggled, but that's always been a sort of clunky mechanic on Caliga - having two of those. Oxy's hero has it as an active ability, which makes him feel a bit too buff-like. Some lasting feedback here would certainly be appreciated.
"I'll come to Florida one day and make you look like a damn princess." ~Hep

2-P
Revenent of the Replies

Post by 2-P » Mon May 17, 2010 1:40 pm

Gratz Oxy and Fattymaus. rawr!

I can't stand Oxy's Haunt at all. Caliga was always Bane's best "travel around the map to gank heroes" char in my eyes. Farming creeps to build something up doesn't fit to him imho, it just slows him down.
Humans don't have the patience to wait even ten minutes for something!

Deschain
Diabolical Doomsayer

Post by Deschain » Mon May 17, 2010 1:57 pm

Indeed, congrats to all winners :) Hopefully we'll have a new version to test it (snark, snark).
Those who seek war deserve for the war to find them.

TheDeathstalker
Keeper of the Keys

Post by TheDeathstalker » Mon May 17, 2010 2:12 pm

I'd start lurking in the channel then, the new version sounds like it's ready as soon as Dusk codes up the new Cali.
And though you come out of each gruelling bout,
All broken and beaten and scarred,
Just have one more try—it’s dead easy to die,
It’s the keeping-on-living that’s hard.

Oxygen
Grandmaster of Grammar

Post by Oxygen » Mon May 17, 2010 2:40 pm

2-P wrote:Gratz Oxy and Fattymaus. rawr!

I can't stand Oxy's Haunt at all. Caliga was always Bane's best "travel around the map to gank heroes" char in my eyes. Farming creeps to build something up doesn't fit to him imho, it just slows him down.
Don't think that he'll have a hard time killing a few creeps using Tombreaver. +, with the blink from OS and the movement speed bonus from VW, he can hop between lanes pretty easily. Kill 3-4 creeps in a lane, go harass another, or whatever. I think that your bias comes from the fact that the old Haunt was just too powerful, strait forward and clicky.

Fledermaus
Keeper of the Keys

Post by Fledermaus » Mon May 17, 2010 10:21 pm

After reading the hero over, I agree with PP but would still just like to see how he actually plays before going into any really major objections.

EDIT:
Oxygen wrote:I think that your bias comes from the fact that the old Haunt was just too powerful, strait forward and clicky.
I lol'ed
Last edited by Fledermaus on Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Deeplight
Noobite Warrior

Post by Deeplight » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:35 pm

I actually agree with the notion of the ability Haunt that it just seems out of place on this hero. It almost seems like a "pusher's" ability rather than this hero hunter's. Putting the skill haunt side by side with the others, you can see that one may often find themselves leaving behind their voidwalkers.

IMO you put a pushing skill on a chasing/hunting hero. You got aoe pulsing minions that probably push pretty well, but probably can't chase (save harass potential is pretty nice I suppose.)

Personally if you want to keep the summon mechanic I have a small possible rework.

Haunt:
Passive: Every time Caliga slays an enemy he stores away the fallen soul in his _______. He can store up to A/B/C/D souls
Active on Target: Caliga releases X amount of the stored souls as a voidwalker that will fight on his behalf.
Voidwalkers deal X damage (either singular or aoe) and last only 10 seconds or until slain.
Void walkers gain +X movement speed for every debuff the most debuffed nearby target has. (Exp: 2 nearby enemy targets, the first has 1 debuff while the second has 2. The voidwalkers gains two stacks of movement speed boost)
CD: Very short (Spammable)

This version of haunt allows Caliga to keep his Voidwalkers in his pocket (go pocketmonsters!) and so he is able to whip them out when he needs them. I also gave the Voidwalkers a potential movespeed boost so that they can help chase enemies with Caliga. To balance this I cut the duration time of the Voidwalkers in half and made them vulnerable.

Sooo I know I"m the new guy around here but that's my thoughts. Feel free to pick at is as you feel.
Image Image

Oxygen
Grandmaster of Grammar

Post by Oxygen » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:48 pm

Caliga already has 3 skills that are all about pounding in the shit out of a single target, and haunt is potentially a 4th in its current state, which is extremely powerful but has to be built up as a downside. If "we" just made them be stored or whatever, they may as well just remain how they used to be - an uninteresting point click 500 damage.

The new form allows for harassment, which Caliga lacked much of, as well as a secondary function as a pushing hero.

Do note that they now last 20 seconds, up from 10. Racking up 5-6 kills will be easy (due to tombreaver as well as the building up haunt's area of effect damage), and switching lane to an enemy hero even more so with voidwalk and the new teleport effect on oblivion seal. It'll just be less bursty (and stupid, tbh) and possibly more fun / challenging. A good Caliga will have to learn how to creep properly, as opposed to clicking a hero properly.

Deeplight
Noobite Warrior

Post by Deeplight » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:54 pm

I'll accept that; it makes sense.

Well it was worth trying then saying nothing at all right?
Image Image

Return to “Hero Contest #4”