SC2 as a Trilogy - 150$ Game

Everything social between absolutely anyone who can type a post. Although this is an open forum, avoid the typical bad forum conduct.
Deschain
Diabolical Doomsayer

Re: SC2 as a Trilogy - 150$ Game

Post by Deschain » Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:15 pm

Of course, all this bullshit does not address why blizzard can't just put three disks in one box, up the price to at most $70, and end up offering the most epic piece of win $70 could buy. So yes, they are money grubbing, but at least the consumers aren't being completely raped.
Apparently they are buying time (and money). They probably fear that if they wait their competitors will stomp them in the ground and that they will end up like Duke Nukem Forever constantly upgrading engine and art to meet requirements only to get blown away by new standards entering a circulus vitiosus.
My guess they'll sell the first campaign at high price, second and third at lower prices and make a three in one campaign that costs epic amount of money.
As for selling an epic win 70$ box you'll get that when all three campaigns are out.
Let's adjust the perspective here, most games do not offer the option of playing through an entire game from every faction viewpoint, most offer just one viewpoint or character for the player. What if blizzard was to make a fully engrossing, and complete gameplay experience playing as just one race in single player? They would only be meeting the status quo. Also, consider that there is no reason to assume one of the campaigns to be of any less quality than if they had happened to divide all the missions on each disk between races instead of having you play as one throughout.
Yeah but blizzard has spoiled us over the years... That is the problem. I expect each race having it's campaign on the same CD/DVD.
Also blizz will need to outdo himself twice because if it was any lesser it would generate a meh factor from the community. I mean why buy the same game twice?
I hope blizz pull this in a way that benefits everyone but I'm not an optimist...
andriejj wrote:We shall see...
Those who seek war deserve for the war to find them.

Loki
Gypsy
Location: In a sea of paper cranes and a sky of paper planes.

Post by Loki » Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:22 pm

Of course, all this bullshit does not address why blizzard can't just put three disks in one box, up the price to at most $70, and end up offering the most epic piece of win $70 could buy. So yes, they are money grubbing, but at least the consumers aren't being completely raped.
Most likely that they ARE going to to that though.
Let's do what comes naturally
ImageImageImageImage
I'll be waiting in Haven.

andriejj
Keeper of the Keys

Post by andriejj » Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:53 am

Ves, you're overestimating SC2 ;P

Hydrolisk
Keeper of the Keys

Post by Hydrolisk » Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:23 am

Piece of cfasking mud...

My last post went screwey and now I don't have the energy to rant.

Instead, I'll just say a few words for you pissed off people (the ones that are) to think over.

Dawn of War.
Expansions.
Guild Wars.
Expansions.
Total Annihilation.
Expansions.

The point that I'm trying to make is that I'd rather pay for three awesome games than nine thirds of three awesome games. In other words, I'd rather have a slightly bitter taste left on my tongue than a long drawn out really crappy taste. The taste being a metaphor for experience.

For comparison, think of how much -

I'll stop, just to let you think and so that I can stop wasting time.

Loki
Gypsy

Post by Loki » Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:54 am

The fact that campaigns are now 30ish missions rather than the usual 10ish missions seems quite awesome to me.
ImageImageImageImage

Oxygen
Grandmaster of Grammar

Post by Oxygen » Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:58 am

Loki wrote:The fact that campaigns are now 30ish missions rather than the usual 10ish missions seems quite awesome to me.
People will be too busy playing dotf ( defense of the future )

vesuvan
Revenent of the Replies

Holy hot dicks from hell

Post by vesuvan » Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:00 pm

The first starcraft release will be a game called "starcraft 2, wings of liberty" and will offer only the terran campaign while allowing map creation and online skirmishes and the base level battlenet service.

Two expansion packs will be released, the zerg and protoss campaigns respectively, and each will update all of the races with new units. Each expansion is to be released a year after the one before it.

Now I could bash on blizzard for having the gall to offer "premium" battlenet content to the slovenly scum that only decided to pay $150 for the game itself over the course of three years, so I will. The game neglects to go the pokemon approach by making having all the versions something rich kids with two gameboys did so they could fill all 151 pokemon into their miserable hole in their heart, but instead uses the classic planned obsolescence scheme that forces people to have computers with 8GBs of ram so that they can open a document that was made by some other jerk that decided using an MSoffice 2007 exclusive file format was absolutely chipper. All your friends, their mothers, and last weeks lunch will all buy the expansion packs, leaving you alone without having one unit added for each race and another campaign. But don't you fret, because the expansion will fix a bunch of bugs in your version of the game that go unchecked because you are too much of a bum to buy 200% markup bullshit insurance in three easy yearly payments. This is quite like blizzard selling you an axe, and then charging you a fee for them to not use it to bash your skull in, a year after you bought it, only they'll end up doing that anyway, then charging you $50 again to call 911 instead of playing monkey in the middle with your cellphone and writing your suicide note with maniacal tears and laughter.
͎̟͕͎̯̺͎̟͕͎̯̺ĩ̵̢͉̺̹͖͔̻̣̟̙ͦ̋̍ͤ̈́ͫ̓͐͐̅͊͒ͪͬͧͅn̢̮͈̪̤̳̏ͥ̐̍̌͊͜͟͠
̵̢͉̺̹͖͔̻̣̟̙ͦ̋̍ͤ̈́ͫ̓͐͐̅͊͒ͪͬͧͅn̢̮͈̪̤̳̏ͥ̐̍̌͊͜͟͠

The Colonel
Letter Linguist

Post by The Colonel » Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:48 am

So... two expansion packs rather than one? What's the problem? Oh, you only get to play one race in the campaign? But it's three times longer and you get to play the other two in the other expansions, which are also three times longer, so it's the same thing anyways, just less broken up.

No one fussed over Civ4 having 2 expansions, what's the problem here? They didn't announce it as explicitly expansions? Well they are, the only difference is the announced their names all at the same time and they called it a "Trilogy."

andriejj
Keeper of the Keys

Post by andriejj » Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:15 am

The Colonel wrote:No one fussed over Civ4 having 2 expansions, what's the problem here? They didn't announce it as explicitly expansions? Well they are, the only difference is the announced their names all at the same time and they called it a "Trilogy."
But the second Civ4 expansion sux ;P

Deschain
Diabolical Doomsayer

Post by Deschain » Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:16 am

Hydrolisk wrote:P
Dawn of War.
Expansions.
Guild Wars.
Expansions.
Yeah but those companies that made it ain't blizz. And DoW (and GW )offered so much more contents per expansion compared to blizzard's expansions set for respective franchise respectively (not sure about WoW vs GW). Also these examples of how expansions how expansion should be done not how most of them are done (Sims 2 + 21 expansion anyone?).

vesuvan wrote:Two expansion packs will be released, the zerg and protoss campaigns respectively, and each will update all of the races with new units. Each expansion is to be released a year after the one before it.
Really? I never heard they are adding bonus unit per side?! There are rumors and rants but I don't recall Blizz saying: We gonna add another unit.
Those who seek war deserve for the war to find them.

Loki
Gypsy

Post by Loki » Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:29 am

They aren't expansion packs. They are single release games.
ImageImageImageImage

VZhitogoroshi
Keeper of the Keys

Post by VZhitogoroshi » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:33 am

I see where Vesu is coming from here. Why is Starcraft famous? Answer: because it's arguably (not really that arguably, actually) the most balanced RTS in the entire world. And making you pay for the extra unit means that if you DON'T, the legendary balance of SC is lost on you, as they will presumably put the new unit in a spot that's vital at higher level play.

Though, counterpoint. I don't hear any bitching about when they did it last time.

Return to “The Social Experiment”