A Break in the Grind

Everything social between absolutely anyone who can type a post. Although this is an open forum, avoid the typical bad forum conduct.
The Colonel
Letter Linguist

A Break in the Grind

Post by The Colonel » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:24 pm

Well, school's about to let out for Cold and I, and I'm sure many other people here, those of you still in grade school, but I find that for each year of school that passes each summer becomes increasingly bitter.

On the one hand, no more homework, no more tests, no more projects, no more unwanted work, for the time being anyway. Time to work on Mana Clash, explore the new bike paths open to me, watch those block busters I've missed over the year, draw, read, relax. All good things that I find pleasure in finally being able to do again.

But on the other hand, summer leads to a lessened social life, something that I've found more important to me each year as I've accumulated ever growing masses of friends. I've really only ever been in this one school district, but from what I hear from people on outside districts, my school is unique. We have no cliques. All social groups mix. Because of this my group of friends in broken up into many small sub-groups that out-side of school do not see one another often because of different primary interests. In short, over long breaks I don't see about half of my friends. I'm hoping it's just that we are young and poorly socially developed but in the mean time summers have a lukewarm feel to them.

And to add to this, as I get more friends more move away each summer, of course I make more, but still, it increases the bittersweet aspect present through out the summer.

This post isn't a vi for attention or anything, I've just felt kind of bad and wanted to get that out there.

Cold Phoenix
Keeper of the Keys

Re: A Break in the Grind

Post by Cold Phoenix » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:34 pm

life sucks then you die
Your move.

The Colonel
Letter Linguist

Post by The Colonel » Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:06 pm

Nah, life's pretty good, and each misfortune is riddled with beautiful comforting irony.

And considering how fast we are advancing in technology, in the next 60 years dieing might not even be a prospect, well, through natural causes anyways.

Glortex
Holder of the Alt-F4

Post by Glortex » Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:42 pm

Cest le vie, is all that needs to be said. :D
I play TF2.
Ok, so I live on TF2...

Vchip
CAPS LOCK INCARNATE

Post by Vchip » Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:06 pm

I find summer to be jampacked with social life things. It's a bit bizare that you have no cliques, I mean every school has them. That's natural right?

The Colonel
Letter Linguist

Post by The Colonel » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:04 am

I know, I do find it relatively odd as well, but it's also pretty nice. I have friends from all different classes, one friend is the track captain, another is the leader of the tech club, another two are Goths, one lives in an apartment, one, Triple P, live in what is practically a mansion. Not everybody is friends with everyone else, of course not, but we don't discriminate against one another.

Maybe this summer will be more socially active for me, but from past experience I doubt it. But then again, nothing happens the same way twice, things might be different.

ShoopLor
Champion Noobite

Post by ShoopLor » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:35 am

Life has its way of repeating throughout the years, still try to focus on the positive things and always be satisfied with the things you have bro. This summer, I will do everything I want: Draw, Create a World, hang out with ALL of my friends, go to a vacation with my girl. So if you focus on these things, the bitterness will vanish in a blik.

All the best my Colonel

Shoop ;)
Wisdom is the key, if reality is ready.

VZhitogoroshi
Keeper of the Keys

Post by VZhitogoroshi » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:26 pm

Heh, I only have 4-5 close friends, and on the last day of school every single one of them are going to my house to play some DnD. So summer doesn't diminish the social aspect of life for me, it just means that I get three months to talk to just my closest friends and not the people I just kinda know.

The Colonel
Letter Linguist

Post by The Colonel » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:01 pm

All of this is seeping with horrid beautiful irony. If I had less friends there would be less to miss over the summer, but I'd have less to be happy about during the the year*. It create a rather interesting formula... less friends would mean my happiness would be more level through the entire year. Many friends means greater happiness during the rest of the year but slightly lessened jubilance during the summer. Luckily, the ratio is not the same between the joy and discomfort, the joy lasting longer and being stronger than the brief period of slight melancholy. And even then, I am still happy during the summer, it's just a little bit bitter sweet.

*Not to imply that I am sad and the only thing that keeps me happy is my friends, I'm actually quite chipper, they just make me more so for each I have

Cold Phoenix
Keeper of the Keys

Post by Cold Phoenix » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:29 pm

You sound like a collector.

Ducks
Last edited by Cold Phoenix on Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Your move.

The Colonel
Letter Linguist

Post by The Colonel » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:38 pm

A collector? As in someone who gathers and stores many objects of a certain type? Or is this some other innuendo I am not aware of?

Logue
Diabolical Doomsayer

Post by Logue » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:54 am

Just wait until you finish school. Then you'll probably "lose" those friends that you don't see during the summer now, and you'll meet up in a bar or on the street or something, and be all like "Hey, what's up, I haven't seen you in like, forever" just like in the movies, lol :) :)

The Colonel
Letter Linguist

Post by The Colonel » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:06 am

Lol, yeah, yer probably right, I only end up still knowing about 1/4 of them once high schools is over anyways. Never thought of it that way. =P

TheIrishPatriot
Grandmaster of Grammar

Post by TheIrishPatriot » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:29 am

I didn't really read the posts, just got a general idea that this is about how school is over and the colonel is sad. And friends are involved too!

Summer: Half the drama, half the people, twice the fun.
Read my prose please :).
An tírghrá Éireannach

Return to “The Social Experiment”