The Last Lecture -aka Really Achieving Your Childhood Dreams

A place to talk about serious "real life" stuff without having to place it in between a demand by Blankie for food and Logue's latest almost-pr0n thread.
Crevax
Server Owner/Manager

The Last Lecture -aka Really Achieving Your Childhood Dreams

Post by Crevax » Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:34 pm

I know this is a book (along with a video of the actual lecture), but I feel it would be more aptly placed here than in Literary Discussion. In brief, it's Randy Pausch ("Professor of Computer Science, Human-Computer Interaction, and Design at Carnegie Mellon University (CMU) in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania") talking about his life. How he aspired to achieve his childhood dreams and how some came to be while others providing a great learning experience.

I've watched the video of his lecture before, but I've now finally decided to read the book (which I was given at graduation). Even though I haven't finished reading through the book, Randy Pausch is one of my heroes. Not only has he done a lot of amazing things himself, he also talks about some of the amazing people he has met who have influenced him immensely.

Especially because of the difficulties right now with making my college decision, I find this to be very inspiring; but I'm sure the rest of you, regardless of how life is/has been, will find something of value.

Therefore I extend to all of you an invite not to just discuss the teachings found in the book, but also to tell stories of your heroes, childhood dreams, or anything else you can think of that relates to this.
SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0
0 rows returned

TheIrishPatriot
Grandmaster of Grammar

Re: The Last Lecture -aka Really Achieving Your Childhood Dreams

Post by TheIrishPatriot » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:30 pm

I saw this book in Barnes and Noble, I think, while me and my dad were looking for a present for my sister (the one in the photo), and reccomended it, from remembering this post. I'm glad I did, because he liked it so much, he got a copy for us, too, and I think it's awesome :D.
Read my prose please :).
An tírghrá Éireannach

Return to “Serious Discussion”