Love

A place to talk about serious "real life" stuff without having to place it in between a demand by Blankie for food and Logue's latest almost-pr0n thread.
TheIrishPatriot
Grandmaster of Grammar

Love

Post by TheIrishPatriot » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:51 am

Define love as best you can, and give your thoughts on people who think they're in love.
Read my prose please :).
An tírghrá Éireannach

Kaome Sky Deathand
Assessor of the Black Tontine

Re: Love

Post by Kaome Sky Deathand » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:01 am

Love
It used to mean one person; heart, mind, and soul, having a passionate affection for another person.
Even up and to the point of self-sacrifice that the person they love might live.

That was then.
That was what I was taught growing up.
Ask people from my generation and before and they will tell you that.
Now though, what joke.

Love
1.) The act of seeing how many other holes you can screw before the person you 'love' finds out.
2.) The act of intercourse/copulation/frakking/etc.
3.) A word used to weaken others defenses that you might have a better chance of getting into their pants.

Now, don't get me wrong.
I'm not bitter, I am merely answering the question based on what I have seen in the area I live in.
It's a dying practice, love. In the years to come I won't be surprised if marriage goes out the window and the world becomes the next Sodom and Gomorrah, rampant with unbiased sex right in the streets, all pretense of knowing a person and cherishing their company for their keen mind or personality scattered to the winds.
Cruor Vult

Hope, it is the quintessential human delusion,
simultaneously the source of our greatest strength, and our greatest weakness.

Soon we shall be One...joined in the Word.

Deschain
Diabolical Doomsayer

Post by Deschain » Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:45 pm

To give yourself to a person completely without expecting nothing in return.

Also love whether pleasurable or painful is a good source of inspiration.
Last edited by Deschain on Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Those who seek war deserve for the war to find them.

Halnodor2
Holder of the Alt-F4

Post by Halnodor2 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:33 pm

Love is cocktail of passion, lust, attraction, compatibility,luck. You need to have a bit of everything for it (I mean like for another person other then family, I think that has to do with flesh and blood)

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:43 am

I'm a hopeless romantic sometimes. I agree with everything Kaome said word for word, but I'm convinced that there is yet love to be found. You've just got to keep looking and trying.
"I'll come to Florida one day and make you look like a damn princess." ~Hep

The Colonel
Letter Linguist

Post by The Colonel » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:41 pm

To value the subject more than yourself.

And I too agree mostly with Kaome, except that it's always been that way, the few who are deep and the many who are not.

Scarlet
Global Moderator

Post by Scarlet » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:23 pm

Colonel's got it right.

Infidelity has always been a problem, regardless of the date on the calendar - it's just more and more common these days for numerous reasons, including the fact that more women are becoming financially independent.

The type of love being discussed here is hard to live up to for most people, too; not the adolescent, malleable high school sweetheart love most grow into and up with, but a complex, mature love that can only be truly seen when nurtured with time and patience. Sadly enough, lots of us younger folk lack the traits required for such a thing, but again, that's not new.

Another problem, I think, is that some people's ideals on love are just too far-fetched, too romantic. They become disappointed with what they have because they expected oh! so much more, so chivalry goes out the door. But that's taking this a little too far. oO

vesuvan
Revenent of the Replies

Post by vesuvan » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:49 pm

It's very interesting that kaome's worst-case-scenario is people having sex on the streets. It really exemplifies an attitude our society has towards it.

Sex is a lot like eating ice cream, and people do that all the time on the streets. It's just that nobody was raised to think purchasing ice cream from somebody was dirty, and should only be done with a person you have pledged to only buy ice cream from them for the rest of your life.

It makes me think if it was all reversed in our universe, sex and ice cream that is. I would imagine any arguments for ice cream freedom would be met by cries of how people would eat it on the streets, and the sacred ice cream consumer/supplier relationship would be destroyed. Maybe our society would be damaged by ice cream crazed maniacs that have abandoned their stable human behaviors to indulge in freaky obscene ice cream fetishes, like banana splits. Enjoying new flavors like caramel would make you a dangerous pervert as far as society would be concerned. Don't even speak of making sundaes legal, they would undermine the very fabric of morals from which this society has been built on.

Love is a sort of equivocation nightmare that refers to many things. A person can trust somebody very much without having any interest in twinking them, nor getting any kind of an oxytocin rush. The opposite is also possible.
͎̟͕͎̯̺͎̟͕͎̯̺ĩ̵̢͉̺̹͖͔̻̣̟̙ͦ̋̍ͤ̈́ͫ̓͐͐̅͊͒ͪͬͧͅn̢̮͈̪̤̳̏ͥ̐̍̌͊͜͟͠
̵̢͉̺̹͖͔̻̣̟̙ͦ̋̍ͤ̈́ͫ̓͐͐̅͊͒ͪͬͧͅn̢̮͈̪̤̳̏ͥ̐̍̌͊͜͟͠

Hell_Tempest
Grandmaster of Grammar

Post by Hell_Tempest » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:18 pm

Love is a notion made up by human beings so their lives don't feel so empty.

VZBushkiller20
The Kan Codifier

Post by VZBushkiller20 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:25 pm

if its a notion...doesn't that make it real? Love isn't actually a physical being, so if you feel love, even if you just came up with what love was, its still love.

Image Image ImageImageImage

Lawrence-Ember-Mirage-Skywings-Jasmine

ReDSeX
Holder of the Alt-F4

Post by ReDSeX » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:52 pm

I'd call it my shag bag.
Gaddamn you can't get me off this shit.

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:09 pm

It's really just about understanding. It's really so dependent on the people involved to say "This is what love is." There are features that are indeed true with regards to the vast majority, but might only be partially, if at all, true for a specific individual.

I feel like love should be a spontaneous thing. I want someone who isn't going to shut me down when I randomly feel like taking her out to dinner just because I want her company, but I also really want someone who is able to tell me no. I've met so many girls who claim they love me, and I know they don't. They would give me anything I want, and that was great and all years ago, but I don't want that anymore. I want someone who isn't afraid to tell me that I'm wrong, and who is able to convince me -- Me of all people -- That they are right. That means a lot to me to have a girl who is independent but dependent. Who wants to cry on my shoulder when things get bad, but who's willing to stand next to me against the world when the need arises. Someone strong-willed, but gentle and realistic all in one.

Maybe I ask for too much, at least, that's what I always tell myself. I'd like all of those things, but for the girl I end up truly loving she doesn't have to be perfect -- No, I actually hope that she isn't; that she's human, just like me. That she makes mistakes just like I do, and then we talk about it. I don't expect love to be something glorious and perfect, something that has to be my exact ideals at all times. I expect there to be fights, but the love makes us forgive and move on, stronger than ever. There needs to be something real about it, a love that doesn't require sex every night, that doesn't require me being home from work on time every night, that doesn't require her to stay at home all day, that doesn't require anything more than the very emotions that drive it.

I'm probably really bad at explaining this, but no backspaces to change what I mean. (Only to fix spelling!) I'm tired of meaningless relationships, I have no desire to go out to a party every weekend to find a new girl to be with for that weekend. I don't want that, I just don't. I haven't really done a lot of that in my time, but probably more than most people here. I was being such a terrible human being for doing that to girls -- Even if it's what they wanted to. I just want someone genuine, someone with enough mystery that I'm always grinning at how clever she is, but has a mystery that I don't ever want to or am able to ever solve. That's true love for me. Right there.
"I'll come to Florida one day and make you look like a damn princess." ~Hep

Deschain
Diabolical Doomsayer

Post by Deschain » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:29 am

Sex is a lot like eating ice cream, and people do that all the time on the streets.
Yeah except people know to somewhat control themselves when it comes to eating ice cream. Plus ice cream doesn't carry as many diseases as sex does.
But has a mystery that I don't ever want to or am able to ever solve.
?! You want her to be a serial killer?

I know what you mean but I couldn't really help myself not to mock you for this.
Those who seek war deserve for the war to find them.

erwtenpeller
Revenent of the Replies

Post by erwtenpeller » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:25 pm

we talking about loving, or being in love?

Kaome Sky Deathand
Assessor of the Black Tontine

Post by Kaome Sky Deathand » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:11 pm

Not to rain on the parade, but food analogies always end up awkward.
As a chef, I deal with food on a constant basis, so suddenly giving any food 'sexual' perversion would make me look like Mr. Hefner, or some Cartel member. You want fries with that? Oh I know you do you dirty dirty....

In all seriousness,
It's all biased from person to person.
My standard will differ from every other mans in the entire universe.
Some people might only accept love in a dominating or carefree way.
It's a personal matter for each and everyone of us.
Cruor Vult

Hope, it is the quintessential human delusion,
simultaneously the source of our greatest strength, and our greatest weakness.

Soon we shall be One...joined in the Word.

Return to “Serious Discussion”