On the Topic of Homosexuality

A place to talk about serious "real life" stuff without having to place it in between a demand by Blankie for food and Logue's latest almost-pr0n thread.
Daryll-The-Damned
Captain Caption

On the Topic of Homosexuality

Post by Daryll-The-Damned » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:30 pm

Let this be a note to all who post, even though the standards should have been read before this. If you wish to participate in the discussion, bring your views and reasons to the table. Do not mindlessly flame. Anyway...

Now, I do not often come to this place...real life already has enough seriousness for me. However I am curious as to your views on the subject.

For almost my entire life I have seen it. Dislike, loathing, outright hate. From what I can tell it stems from mankind's innate fear of the unknown and the different. But why does it matter so much? To me, it is just another choice, a preference in one small corner of someones life which doesn't affect me at all really. And yet, so many people throughout the world have such disgust, mistrust, and once more, hatred for those choose this. My question to you...Your views, and your reasons.

Let the debate begin.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Pestilence :: Rocky the V :: Buz-Ze :: Zen :: The Kid:: Imperius

VZShadowRain
Holder of the Alt-F4

Re: On the Topic of Homosexuality

Post by VZShadowRain » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:48 pm

What a dangerous topic Daryll, but personally I'm a GLBTQ activist. I admit, seeing a Transexual still makes me feel awkward and have slight prejudice against them, but I have been working on stilling that. The point is, people are people, and all humans are subjective. If one person wants something, then he will always want that thing, even if that desire is lessened by some manner or form. Although you could argue with me about this, the only reason the GLBTQ are ostracized is because of religion. Religion has existed for a long time, and the belief is that marriage only ought to be between a man and a woman, as "God" originally planned. Now then, to divert from a heated discussion of religions, I am just here to make a point. Religion and those who interpret the Bible as they do were the first to promote the idea that homosexuality is going against "God" and his all powerful rule. I mean, if you look at history, I imagine that most of the greatest male rulers have had homosexual passions and/or partners; however this does not mean they didn't have children. Most of them did have heirs for the sake of having heirs, being homosexual had nothing to do with the reproduction of man. I am in a GSA organization and it has only spurred my belief that people have the right to decide. I won't try to turn you if you are fervently against the rights for people to have free will, but I will state my position on this matter.
-ShadowRain Image

Internet is the cocaine of the mind. -My Friend

Vlancer
Noobite Warrior

Post by Vlancer » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:28 pm

I say it is wrong because it is physically and mentally destructive. I wrote a thesis on it. Go look for a paper on the interweb and maybe you will find mine.

Examining the scientific, medical, and historical aspects of it and not just the: People are people and should do what they want brings forth a lot of information that the LG Rights pushers aren't always aware.

Homosexuality is a destructive mental disorder similar to depression. In fact, it was classified as a sexual disorder and treated successful until the LG Rights Union decided to get hostile. Yeah, homosexuality was not accepted thanks to scientific research, but rather threats.

Any organization that uses terror tactics knows they have something wrong with themselves. Take PETA and Anonymous as an example.
We hate it when our friends become successful
We hate it when our friends become successful
Oh, look at those clothes
ah look at that face, its so cold
it's such a video, well
it's really laughable
Ah, ha, ha ...

vesuvan
Revenent of the Replies

Post by vesuvan » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:11 pm

Wow.... I don't know whether to laugh, spite, or get depressed myself.
I say it is wrong because it is physically and mentally destructive. I wrote a thesis on it. Go look for a paper on the interweb and maybe you will find mine.
GFG to anybody that opposes you and your mighty thesis. There isn't much left to talk about after you dropped that bombshell, I forfeit. Besides the current, peer reviewed papers by nobody's like the RDF institute.
Homosexuality is a destructive mental disorder similar to depression. In fact, it was classified as a sexual disorder and treated successful until the LG Rights Union decided to get hostile. Yeah, homosexuality was not accepted thanks to scientific research, but rather threats.
It became no longer considered a mental disorder when it was found that sexual orientation is incidental and that no specific mental impediments either caused or resulted by it regularly[1]. It was NEVER successfully "treated", and those few that claimed to be cured merely came from authoritative and religious backgrounds, or could not reconcile marriage or other social issues[2][3][4][5]. After studying the first papers that classified homosexuality as an illness, their basis was entirely based on religion, supposed morality, or sheer xenophobia, with no regard at all to the actual mental state of the patient.

[1]: http://www.aglp.org/pages/cfactsheets.h ... -Gay-14210
[2]:Shidlo, Ariel; Schroeder, Michael; Drescher, Jack (2001). Sexual Conversion Therapy: Ethical, Clinical, and Research Perspectives. New York: Haworth Medical Press.
[3]:Shidlo, Ariel; Schroeder, Michael; Drescher, Jack (2001). Sexual Conversion Therapy: Ethical, Clinical, and Research Perspectives. New York: Haworth Medical Press.
[4]:http://www.infochangeindia.org/agenda4_24.jsp
[5]:http://www.time.com/time/magazine/artic ... 53,00.html
Any organization that uses terror tactics knows they have something wrong with themselves. Take PETA and Anonymous as an example.
Now how much more of an ass are you going to make out of yourself? If you want to play the scientific authority card, you have been sorely trumped already.
͎̟͕͎̯̺͎̟͕͎̯̺ĩ̵̢͉̺̹͖͔̻̣̟̙ͦ̋̍ͤ̈́ͫ̓͐͐̅͊͒ͪͬͧͅn̢̮͈̪̤̳̏ͥ̐̍̌͊͜͟͠
̵̢͉̺̹͖͔̻̣̟̙ͦ̋̍ͤ̈́ͫ̓͐͐̅͊͒ͪͬͧͅn̢̮͈̪̤̳̏ͥ̐̍̌͊͜͟͠

TheIrishPatriot
Grandmaster of Grammar

Post by TheIrishPatriot » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:18 pm

As I poked fun at Daryll "Hmm, I think I'll make one of the most explosive and flame-worthy topics I can!"

Homosexuality. I believe it's wrong on a few levels. Along with what Vlancer pointed out, to me, its wrong religiously. I find Catholics who protect homosexuality to be odd. We're told straight up a few times, "God hates homosexuality".

There are no studies that prove that homosexuality is a "gene" or from birth, thus, I believe that it's a lifestyle choice, conciously or subconciously. I mean lord, as we're constantly being told ""THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH HOMOSEXUALITY", some people are bound to just give in subconciously. Odder things have happened.

Now, I do NOT go around stabbing homosexuals. In fact, I only know one, but we talk, and he's cool, and rather funny. I have NEVER spat in his face and yelled "JESUS HATES YOU!" On the other hand, I have gotten in trouble in real life for mocking homosexuals casually around friends and teachers (FACT: Girls are far more defensive of gays then guys are).

And just think about it. The media bludgeons us with "gays are normal gays are normal gays are normal normal normal zamg, Heath Ledger died," and I think that numbs us down. We've conditioned ourselves to accept it, but look at it: Our basic selves scream "That is wrong!" And then our politically correct selves come along and make us go to rehab.

Edit: Vlancer, could I see that thesis?
Read my prose please :).
An tírghrá Éireannach

VZhitogoroshi
Keeper of the Keys

Post by VZhitogoroshi » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:03 pm

Homosexuality. I believe it's wrong on a few levels. Along with what Vlancer pointed out, to me, its wrong religiously. I find Catholics who protect homosexuality to be odd. We're told straight up a few times, "God hates homosexuality".
Point me to that.

I don't know why I'm going to get in to this "debate", but I'll try. Of course, when you form an opinion without evidence it is impossible to disprove (for the record, that includes "facts" you made up because you decided not to look for relevant studies conducted by the other side) but I'm going to champion for the cause anyway. You see, I'm against discrimination, and it's kind of a big issue for me.

Ah, hell, let me expand a bit. Required reading for the topic should be David Wongs Inside the Monkeysphere: while it's a humor article, it does make at it's base a point that really cuts to the heart of this debate. I'll post it here-
Then, some time in the Third Century, French philosopher Pierre "Frenchy" LaFrench invented racism. This was a way of simplifying the too-complex-for-monkeys world by imagining all people of a certain race as being the same person, thinking they all have the same attitudes and mannerisms and tastes in food and clothes and music. It sort of works, as long as we think of that person as being a good person (those Asians are so hard-working and precise and well-mannered!) but when we start seeing them as being one, giant, gaping asshole (the French, ironically) our monkey happiness again breaks down.
Lets keep this in mind as we look at Patriot's post:
only know one, but we talk, and he's cool, and rather funny. I have NEVER spat in his face and yelled "JESUS HATES YOU!" On the other hand, I have gotten in trouble in real life for mocking homosexuals casually around friends and teachers (FACT: Girls are far more defensive of gays then guys are).
Anyone see where I'm going with this? For him, it doesn't matter if the person is homosexual once that person was in his Monkeysphere. However, he's taken the CONCEPT and turned it into something to be made fun of - and the concept never gets a voice, see?

So, tell me why this group of people deserves discrimination, please.
Last edited by VZhitogoroshi on Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pandamanana
Holder of the Alt-F4

Post by pandamanana » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:13 pm

Woah. Nice topic.

I believe that all homosexual humans (because that is what they are...) have a right to be sexually attracted to whatever they want as long as the sex/relationship is mutual and as long as no one is hurt by it. I have many homosexual and bi-sexual friends and although I am sometimes uncomfortable, I try to block out those feelings of discomfort because I know what is morally correct and I know that no matter who they kiss, or who they love, and no matter what the church believes is true, they are still my friends.

Steve
Revenent of the Replies
Location: Dropping lasers or meteors on some unfortunate bystander... what?

Post by Steve » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:32 pm

Hrm.

I myself don't really approve of affection in public, but I don't openly endorse homosexuality. I don't dislike a gay person for being gay, I just find myself feeling rather awkward witnessing or being in the presence of the act. I also however approve of eugenics and a purer, stronger human race. Not like the opinions Hitler put forward, but as a whole, humans reaching greater heights. I dislike the limits of the body, I approve of cybernetics. Some people consider my internal thinking like that of a machine.

I don't mind. You may call me lacking in morals (which I am, to some extent), but in layman's terms:

A person being homosexual is fine, but the practice is not.
The enemy are in disarray, ride them down as they run
Send them to their violent graves, don't spare anyone
Dead and wounded lie all around, see the pain in their eyes
Over the field an eerie sound, as we hear the raven's cry

The Colonel
Letter Linguist

Post by The Colonel » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:56 pm

Really, all this is is the current popular stigma that we will look back at and say "What where we thinking!?" After that exclamation we will devote a month to them and study this section of history in school during that month.

This whole cycle has happened before, Africans first, then Women. This group is next. Sure, some people still hate Africans and Women, but overall, people accept them, and I think that this group is ganna take the same course.

Greenspawn
Keeper of the Keys

Post by Greenspawn » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:05 pm

I think that homosexuality is okay, but (to me) I'd rather not see it in public. Gays/lesbians are "different" than straights, but it's perfectly fine to be one or the other. The rumor of homosexuality being bad was started back when AIDS began spreading (I think it was the 80's). People used to think it was an exclusively gay disease. Then them straights got the disease. The public got it wrong. People used to think that homosexuality could be "cured". Now we've discovered that it's not a disease, and that it was part of a person's character. The public got it wrong (again). I say don't listen to anyone who says being gay isn't right, 'cause they're probably just trying to make themselves look even more straight.
Math is # |e^iπ|
"I can't imagine getting hit by a giant rock and not being maimed or crippled or ruined" -Dusk

Logue: Please replace the toilet paper when you use it all. For some reason my 5 year old son believes if it's not there he does not have to wipe.

andriejj
Keeper of the Keys

Post by andriejj » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:50 pm

It's good, as long as they don't go with it on the streets and into my life. It's one's personal buissiness and I totally don't give a shit about someone being gay or not, I don't want to know that. I'm against those street demonstrations, parades and marches, because that's illogical, has no sense (what for is that? to show that you're different, deviated? It's like boasting that you're mentally insane) and leads to nothing. I can only turn my sight off it. This way, they only make more enemies. I'll write more when I have time, gotta go now :P

Kaome Sky Deathand
Assessor of the Black Tontine

Post by Kaome Sky Deathand » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:59 pm

I have friends that are Gay.
I have friends that are Bi.
I have friends that are Lez.

Honestly I could care less, open or not.
If it makes them happy who is anyone to stop or prevent them from that happiness.
Isn't that their 'constitutional' right?
I don't view them any differently...I don't avoid topics that they bring up...I don't look down on them
They are people for *****s sake. Not some alien race to be prosecuted.

And if they are? What then? Which one will become the next 'Jew' to their 'Hitler'?
Round everyone up and burn a number into their forehead?
Retarded.

As long as people aren't doing the nasty in the streets.
Let them live their lives how they want.

~Exitus Acta Anhelo
Cruor Vult

Hope, it is the quintessential human delusion,
simultaneously the source of our greatest strength, and our greatest weakness.

Soon we shall be One...joined in the Word.

andriejj
Keeper of the Keys

Post by andriejj » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:54 pm

Yes, let them live how they want, but they shouldn't enter my life and like You said- "doing the nasty in the streets". I don't tell others about my sexual life and other stuff on that level of privacy and I expect others to do the same. But some actions are like homosexual promotion, and that's bad. For example- TVN tv in Poland. They made a report about an artist, Grzegorz Turnau, who admitted being gay. First of all- what kind of topic is that for a TV programme? But the way this report was made, was the worst. After watching it, you could think "how lovely it is to be gay", because it was all shown so joyfully and happily... Yes, homophobia, like all kind of intolerance, should be fought. But TVN actions are something further, it's like PROMOTION of homosexuality (they also supported gay parades and other events). And you can't deny you can "earn" it, you don't have to be born as a homo.

TheLegendReborn
CAPS LOCK INCARNATE

Post by TheLegendReborn » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:09 pm

Ok can I ask why people are against "nasty public things" from anyone gay or by nasty do you mean by making out making it fine for straight people to make out but if you are gay TOO BAD SUCKA.

As for gay parades and stuff it isn't parading around saying "Look at me I'm different" and especially not like dancing around saying you have a mental illness. Gay parades are just like black right parades, they are meant to say that they aren't going to just go away and that they deserve equal rights ect because people who are different are normally discriminated against and in modern society especially people who are gay.

Kaome Sky Deathand
Assessor of the Black Tontine

Post by Kaome Sky Deathand » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:11 am

As far as I can recall 'doing the nasty' has always been a phrase for:
Having sex, screwing, broadening the genepool, F**king, pick your poison.
Cruor Vult

Hope, it is the quintessential human delusion,
simultaneously the source of our greatest strength, and our greatest weakness.

Soon we shall be One...joined in the Word.

Return to “Serious Discussion”