Elemental Wars Hero Suggestions.

All discussion relating to WC3 on the whole should be posted in this forum. If you are looking for beta testers or would like to advertise your map, do so here. All sub-forums created for specific maps over the duration of this website's existence are located in this forum.
erwtenpeller
Revenent of the Replies

Re: Elemental Wars Hero Suggestions.

Post by erwtenpeller » Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:04 pm

Cassandra, the Sorceress - Good - Jaina
Ranged Intelligence hero
Attack Type: Frost
Defence Type: Fire

An apprentace of the great tower wizards, she chains summer and winter to devastating effect.

Touch of Fire - Fire
Sets target units ablaze, making them take damage over time.
If the targeted unit was suffering from a Frost effect, the unit is frozen solid instead.
Fire Power Increases Damage Dealt

Touch of Frost - Frost
Freezes target unit and units around it, slowing movement and attack speeds.
If the targeted unit was allready suffering from a Fire effect, additional damage is dealt instead.
Frost power increases slow power.

Both spells have short cooldowns and moderate effects, and they are meant to be quickly combined.[/quote]

Summon Lesser Elemental - Frost
Summons an elemental from target essence. The elementals attack and armor type will be equal to the element of the essence.
Two Lesser elementals of the same type can fuse to form a more powerfull Greater Elemental.
Frost Power increases elemental attack and defence power.

Frostfire - Fire
Frozen Hail and Burning Tar fall from the sky, dealing Fire and Frost damage. Units taking fire damage take additional damage over time, units taking frost damage are slowed.
Units with Fire armor are immune to the fire effect, units with Frost armor are immune to the frost effect.
Fire Power increases Damage Dealt.

In a huge pickle on this one becouse the attack and defence types should really be the other way around, however, if i do this on the good guys side it creates a terrible unbalance with the currently evolving hero table. If i put her on the evil side however, it'd add yet another caster with summons to the mix, and i really like her character better as a good hero...

erwtenpeller
Revenent of the Replies

Post by erwtenpeller » Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:08 pm

Rising_Dusk wrote:Some of the heroes and their interactions seem cool and all, but I'm not really getting a "personality" vibe from any of them. This is probably one of those cases where seeing it would mean more than reading about it, but I can't help but wonder.
Once the art comes together it'll click, but i'm trying to design them to feel like heros more then characters as we see them in aotz, tob, doe or even B&B. They're a bit more distant and cold, with typical and descriptional spell names reather then funny, witty or nerrative ones.
So yeah its partially a design choice to have the heros like that.
I'm also horrible with the story aspects, all the quotes suck twinking balls.
The hero itself is cool, though. I think he'd be cooler as melee, since you've got this whole in a shallow AOE channeled thing for the third skill. Maybe short range (350) or something, but a full ranged hero would be a bit awkward with that close up skill. He could always get full range while an Efreet.
Yeah he might get short range, he might even become stregth, who knows, but he'll have to be a ranged hero becouse i really want to play out the firelord design on a bloodmage skin, i think it'd look extremely badass if those two are combined.

I'm just churnin' out heros at the moment, tweaking them and evolving they're characters as i go along.

Deschain
Diabolical Doomsayer

Post by Deschain » Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:27 pm

Is monk finished?
Those who seek war deserve for the war to find them.

erwtenpeller
Revenent of the Replies

Post by erwtenpeller » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:41 pm

If it was, i'd have posted it.

Its probubly going to use the Cold Immolation/Spirit Strike combo the Dark Knight used to have though, combined with a blink move and a meditation ultimate, though i'm not sure becouse a slow aura and a blink has a big overlapping functionality.

Any suggestions for any perpouse are welcome, you know.

Deschain
Diabolical Doomsayer

Post by Deschain » Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:55 am

I didn't have time to browse through all your posts. Mkay here is my take on monky... PS. could you post your pastebin link on first page please

Mkay I tried the Monk but I couldn't do him justice.

Delmir, the Arcane Blade - Good
(Melee) (INT) hero
Attack Type - Spirit
Defence Type - Frost

Fire Storm
Frost Spirit
Earth Comment

Calm and deadly.

Calmness (Self Buff) - Frost
You have a chance to evade attacks and increases attacks.
Foes that attack you in melee will be slowed (frost buff).
Frost Power increases chance to evade and attack.

Mana Blade (Passive Mana booster) - Spirit
Whenever you attack you deal bonus damage Spirit damage equal to a percent of your mana. You lose a small amount of mana.
Attacks against non-Spirit defense unit steal mana.
Spirit Power increases bonus damage and reduces mana lost.

Blue Shield (Self buff) - Frost
Creates a shield that negates up to a certain amount of damage.
Percent of Spirit and Storm damage done is converted into mana.
Frost Power increases amount of damage negated.

Eternal Cycle Strike (Finishing move) - Spirit
Teleports to target unit dealing five deadly strikes. Each attack is of different elemental type and is reduced by a small amount.
No Reactionary Effect.
Spirit Power lessens the attack reduction.

This spell has long cooldown but should cost no mana. Oh btw when I say he deals five deadly strikes means he counts as attacking (so any spell that triggers on attack should count five times) and mana blade or calmness will boost your damage accordingly.

BTW it should cycle from Storm->Fire->Earth->Spirit-> Frost for good side or Frost -> Earth -> Storm -> Spirit -> Fire for badies.

erwtenpeller
Revenent of the Replies

Post by erwtenpeller » Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:26 pm

Deschain wrote:I didn't have time to browse through all your posts. Mkay here is my take on monky... PS. could you post your pastebin link on first page please
Allready did, a long time ago. I believe i even posted it in red :/
Mkay I tried the Monk but I couldn't do him justice.
You dont have to "do him justice", other ideas are always welcome, and fresh gameplay elements can always be intergrated with ongoing hero designs. This hero has some really good points, wich i will explain as i revieuw the hero.
Delmir, the Arcane Blade - Good
(Melee) (INT) hero
Attack Type - Spirit
Defence Type - Frost

Calm and deadly.
Delmir is a sweet name, arcane blade not as much. Spirit Blade would have been better, but still not really adequate. I never got why you'd call a character anything with "blade" in it, we're dealing with a dude here, not an object. The character quote is kind of awesome.
Calmness (Self Buff) - Frost
You have a chance to evade attacks and increases attacks.
Foes that attack you in melee will be slowed (frost buff).
Frost Power increases chance to evade and attack.
The name strikes me as odd, but basically anything that ends in "ness" seems weird to be using as an ability, really. "Cool Mind" might have worked better here.
Not a big fan of the ability, but it works and is nice and simple. Its missing a good synergising reactional effect, though.
Mana Blade (Passive Mana booster) - Spirit
Whenever you attack you deal bonus damage Spirit damage equal to a percent of your mana. You lose a small amount of mana.
Attacks against non-Spirit defense unit steal mana.
Spirit Power increases bonus damage and reduces mana lost.
This is here the hero gets interesting. Abilities like this usually work best as innates becouse they're hard to make a working levelling scheme for as they depend on an exterior variable that natively goes up with levels, making the ability automatically stronger as you level up. I however am not a big fan of innates unless every hero in the map has a characterising innate ability, and i havnt really given that possubility any thought yet... Might be interesting, but for now i say nay.
As an autocastattack though this could be an awesome ability, getting weaker as you spam it becouse you loose mana.
Blue Shield (Self buff) - Frost
Creates a shield that negates up to a certain amount of damage.
Percent of Spirit and Storm damage done is converted into mana.
Frost Power increases amount of damage negated.
Name is a bit lame and it has an overlapping functionality with "Calmness", wich i think is a bit of a shame, i dont think heros should have any overlappingt utilities in their abilities, it makes them less versitile. Reactional is a decent one, gaining mana syncs nicely with "Mana Blade".
Eternal Cycle Strike (Finishing move) - Spirit
Teleports to target unit dealing five deadly strikes. Each attack is of different elemental type and is reduced by a small amount.
No Reactionary Effect.
Spirit Power lessens the attack reduction.
These abilities dont and wont ever look good, unless you go to verry far lengths. (wich tides of blood is doing, and Dusk has written some pretty cool visuals that would kind of work for such abilities.) I, however, dont like the gameplay it brings, it feels out of place in a warcraft3 game when not consistanly applied throughout the map. No blinking around striking people!

I really like the functionality of Mana Blade, but for it to really shine the hero should revolve around redistributing mana around. I also think it is a funtionality that could really fit the monk class. So, i'm going to try and work it into my monk ideas. Keyword for him'll be "mana redistributing" wich means he might have ways to steal, give, burn, gain or leak mana.

erwtenpeller
Revenent of the Replies

Post by erwtenpeller » Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:53 pm

Silas, the Monk - Good
Mellee Agility hero
This might merit some further explanation. His pramary attribute may be agility, but his intelligence will be the attributes he'll get most points in. This is so that He can have a huge amount of intelligence and therefore mana, without spiking his attack damage too much. He'll get the deserved boost through an ability, though.
Attack Type: Spirit
Defence Type: Frost

The mana must flow... It is in everything here!

Mana Strikes - Spirit
When toggled, the heros attacks are empowered by his energy, dealing additional Spirit Damage for each point of mana.
If an attacked enemy unit is under a frost effect, the hero gains mana instead of losing it on every attack.
Spirit Power increases mana capacity.

Expose Soul - Spirit
Exposes target units soul to the hero, slowly draining its mana and giving it to the hero.
Units who have their soul exposed take increased Spirit Damage.
Spirit power increses mana transferred.

Hypothermia - Frost
When activated the hero lowers its own body temprature to supress pain, Traferring some damage taken to mana lost.
Whenever the hero loses mana, surrouding enemy units are slowed.
Fire damage is not supressed.
Frost Power decreases mana lost.

Meditate - Frost
The hero encases itself in an impervious block of ice and starts to meditate, rapidly recovering mana and health.
While meditating, the hero is immune to non-fire damage, but fire damage is increased.
Frost Power increases mana and health gain.

----

I'd say this is a pretty decent start.

Deschain
Diabolical Doomsayer

Post by Deschain » Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:37 pm

erwtenpeller wrote:These abilities dont and wont ever look good, unless you go to verry far lengths. (wich tides of blood is doing, and Dusk has written some pretty cool visuals that would kind of work for such abilities.) I, however, dont like the gameplay it brings, it feels out of place in a warcraft3 game when not consistanly applied throughout the map. No blinking around striking people!

I really like the functionality of Mana Blade, but for it to really shine the hero should revolve around redistributing mana around. I also think it is a funtionality that could really fit the monk class. So, i'm going to try and work it into my monk ideas. Keyword for him'll be "mana redistributing" wich means he might have ways to steal, give, burn, gain or leak mana.
I think you don't realize how this works. He teleports to a target unit and he strikes it 5 times dealing a cycle of elemental damage. He doesn't blink around. It is more five attacks in a single blow.
erwtenpeller wrote:The name strikes me as odd, but basically anything that ends in "ness" seems weird to be using as an ability, really. "Cool Mind" might have worked better here.
Not a big fan of the ability, but it works and is nice and simple. Its missing a good synergising reactional effect, though.
I agree wholeheartedly. I couldn't think of something fitting for a frost spell. I'll probalbly remake it into a frostbite spell.

Functionality of his Blue shield is that you decide whether to go pure offensive or go for a more shielded version.

Mana blade(or Mana Strikes) being togglable is a great idea actually.

Expose soul is rather nice.

Hypothermia. Tbh I prefered blue shield. The price was constant and for a medium amount of mana you get constant protection. While slowing is cool I think Blue Shield would be far more feasible.

Meditate. Reminds me of Aang from Avatar :D but other than that I don't like it. Somehow I expected more BHAAM!! from it.

erwtenpeller
Revenent of the Replies

Post by erwtenpeller » Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:39 pm

Deschain wrote: I think you don't realize how this works. He teleports to a target unit and he strikes it 5 times dealing a cycle of elemental damage. He doesn't blink around. It is more five attacks in a single blow.
Fair enough, but still, its an awkward mechanic. What if the unit moves out of mellee range during those 5 strikes? It just wont be an ultimate. As a regulair ability i guess it'd work, but in that case i'd really reather have a charge move.
Hypothermia. Tbh I prefered blue shield. The price was constant and for a medium amount of mana you get constant protection. While slowing is cool I think Blue Shield would be far more feasible.
The whole idea is to make the hero depend on the amount of mana he has though, with wich hypo synchronises real nice. I'm still not sure weither its a good idea to focus the hero around it though, becouse its not a native parameter in warcraft 3, it'll be an off experience that probubly wont work as well as we might think it would on paper.

It also kind of detracts from the whole elemental focus, as instead of elemental power, this guy'd focus on mana, and i dont know if thats a good development.
Meditate. Reminds me of Aang from Avatar :D but other than that I don't like it. Somehow I expected more BHAAM!! from it.
We used to have the spell in B&B, and trust me, the ability to rapidly go to full mana and health packs a twinking whallop on an assasin hero. In fact, i may base the monk entirely on maggies skillset, since it was a brilliant hero. It'd mean having an holy light style heal, a blink, a weapon chargeup and the meditate ultimate. In this case i'd probubly shove a frost nova into blink, that'd be cool.

Lay of Hands
Smite the wicked, heal the good. (not self)

Voidstep
blink, frost nova at target area

Redirect
Taken spell damage increases next attack.

Meditate
recover your shit

...Something like that.

erwtenpeller
Revenent of the Replies

Post by erwtenpeller » Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:00 pm

Inner Sight - Spirit
Reads target enemy unit to expose its weakness, lowering its armor and revealing its location.
Units Effected by inner sight will suffer increased durations on Frost and Fire effects.
Spirit Power increases armor debuff.

Voidstep - Frost
Fades through the frozen void, instantly teleporting to taget location and slowing units in an area upon arrival.
if a unit hit by voidstep is allready suffering from a frost effect, it is frozen solid.
Frost power increases duration and range.

Redirect - Frost
When activated, the next spell to hit the hero will be negated, and its effects redirected through the heros next attack.
If the damage redirected is of Earth or Storm type, the attacked target is stunned.
Frost power increases durations.

Enlightenment - Spirit
The hero starts to meditate, rapidly recovering mana and health. If the hero finishes meditating, it reaches an enlightened state in wich all damage is prevented.
Meditation cannot be interrupted by a spirit effect.

---

Something like that may be adequate. I really like the idea of redirect, its an effectove and veritile way of "bouncing back" spells wich can be controlled in an easy way that doesnt require additional spells or clicks.

erwtenpeller
Revenent of the Replies

Post by erwtenpeller » Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:05 pm

Updated the list.

Storm Shepart is getting a makeover, stay tuned for that one.

pandamanar
Revenent of the Replies

Post by pandamanar » Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:22 pm

Again? Woah
http://signup.leagueoflegends.com/?ref=4c242dfce214c
Play League of Legends, get to level 10 and I get buffs.

erwtenpeller
Revenent of the Replies

Post by erwtenpeller » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:56 am

Splitting thunder and grounding totem stay, but he gets an earth sheep dog summon now (lot more usefull then sheep) and he'll have a storm-sheppin' ultimate.

On the side i'm also still working on the blizzard hero table, with adjusted stock heros, since a lot of the supporting crowd for my map (especially dusk and cassiel) seem to prefer that.

Deschain
Diabolical Doomsayer

Post by Deschain » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:01 pm

Whatever you decide just stick to it. Don't swirl in circles (stock heroes-> non-adjustable abilities-> custom heroes-> popular demands/unsatisfactory design-> stock heroes).Or maybe make a spin-off like Elemental Wars - Wc3 style.

Argus
Noobite Warrior

Post by Argus » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:20 pm

I've got two suggestions!

Magmados, the Onyx Guardian - Pure Evil
Melee Intelligence hero
Fire Attack Type
Earth Defence Type

Once the ancient warder of the very core of the world, Magmados and his domain now unknowingly serve a darker master.

//He's basicly an ancient creature, guardian and caretakerof the world's core. Now corrupted and paranoid however, he controlls the flames and molten rock against his supposed enemies

Molten Blast - Fire
Magmados send's of a blast of molten rock, that upon hitting the enemy deals X damage. For the following 10 secounds the enemy's movment and attack speed decrease by Y each secound, after which the molten rock stiffens and the unit becomes incased in solid rock and unable to do anything. This lasts eternaly or until the unit is attacked. If the target is a hero it lasts Z seconds.
If the affected unit has frost armor the rock encastment only lasts Z secounds.
Damage incrases with Fire Power

Geodesynchronisation - Earth
The Earth rises up and consumes the targeted unit/hero and drages him/her down. As the planet moves, the her/unit stands firm thus appearing to the actual movers as if having moved.
Frost Armor decreases the range moved by 10%.
Earth Power increases the range moved.
//Abit confusing, I know. Basicly the target is moved in a random direction. And I love the name.

Paranoia of the Earth Warder (Passive) - Earth
In his paranoia Magmados suspects all and trusts none. This chronical observation of the world around him allows him to avoid X% of all attacks targeting him aslong as he isn't buissy with attacking or casting spells.
If, despite this iron will defence he is struck with an attack or spell of frost, his sworn enemy, he goes into a madness fueled berserk dealing more damage but taking even more damage.
Earth Power increases his armor during this berserk.
//Evasion when out of combat and a 3-5 second berserk upon being hit with a frost spell or attack.

Core of the Earth (Ultimate) - Fire
His madness complete, the Ony Guardian unleaches the full power of the very thing he swore to protect. Embracing the very core of the world he become's fire and earth Incarnate. He now starts flaring out upon others, none can be trusted! He deals damage to all in his proximity. Any attacks against him at this time deals less damage. Lasts X seconds.
During this spell Frost Spells and Attacks are useless against him.
Fire Power Increases the duration of the spell.
//This kinda makes up for the other spells being abit less worth against Frost targets. He "Phoenix Fire"'s all targets around him considerable damage every other sec.

Azalon, the Mistrunner - More Good than Bad
Melee Agility hero
Frost Attack Type
Storm Defence Type

Ancient nomad of the seas, he is a legend amongst sailors: protector of traders and bane of pirates.

Fogstalker - Storm
The Mistrunner becomes one with the mist, treading unseen amongst his enemies. When he strikes at his foes he does so with a blast wind, knocking them away.
Frost and Storm Armored targets have a X% chance of causing him to reenter stealth.
Storm Power increases range knocked.
//I was thinking stealth that you upon breaking cause knockback and damage. Also it's not that he attacks, its more of a nova effect knocking all around him. The tooltip could use some work.

Protector's Blessing - Frost
Azalon puts his blessing on the target hero, increasing his/her mana pool by X and causing him/her to regenerate Y mana per 3 seconds.
Fire and Earth attacks against the target removes one of Z charges but returns (running out of variable letters) mana instantly.
Frost Power increases number of charges.

Watery Grave - Frost
Azalon plants a trap at a target location, a pit of ancient power. Units passing over it will be dragged down by the Lurker Below, and subjecated to his wrath. In combat with the Lurker the unit/hero looses X% of his/her total health and mana. Upon return they are silanced for Z seconds. The trap remaines placed until triggered or a new trap placed.
Spirit Armored units/heroes allso get a debuff decreasing their maximum hit points by Z% upon return to the surface world. This buff lasts until the hero/unit dies (Ergo not so long)
Frost Power increases damage subjecated to a maximum of 30/35/40%.

Wrath of the Lightning Ling (also called Thunderstorm) - Storm
Usually dealing with his enemies in a calm and silent way, the Mistrunner rarly unleashes the storms of the sea upon his enemies. The storm strikes at a random place within X range, once every 0.5 second. Damage delt is based on how many buffs and debuffs they've got on 'em.
Diffrent Armor types get's diffrent effects: Earth stuns them for awhile, Fire deals damage over time, Storm removes a random beneficial buff (Does not apply to all buffs), Frost get's reduced movment and attack speed and Spirit looses 10% of their total mana supply.
Storm Power increases te range of the spell.
//Overpowered ultimate!

//The basic tactic is that u Fogstalk your way across the battle, planting traps and issuing blessings (both can be cast without breaking stealth). When entering combat without stealth he has little chance of survival since he's got low armor, hitpoints and attack.

What do you think?

Return to “Generic Warcraft 3 Chat”