Caliga

This is where all bug reports or hero complaints regarding DoE should be made. Whether you have an issue with balance or an exploit to shed light on, this is the place to put it.
Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Caliga

Post by Rising_Dusk » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:34 pm

Caliga has this problem of being either really imbalanced or really fail. This stems from the nature of his skills, which I really like together and individually, but that still have problems. Note that he has two abilities that are click-shoot and two passive activated abilities that just 'do stuff' and make him really good at right-click-winning over heroes (or fail at it and get raped).

How do we solve this? That's a good question, and is why I bring it up here with the community. Maybe you have some good ideas. The same rules I set for AK are in play here; Caliga is the single oldest Bane hero in DoE, and his style, Tombreaver, and things like OSeal are crucial to who and what he is. Be wary of changing them, I won't let go of them easily.

I was actually thinking of having a hero contest for remaking Caliga. What would you all think of that? (Tends to get better results)

Anyways, have at it.
"I'll come to Florida one day and make you look like a damn princess." ~Hep

Deschain
Diabolical Doomsayer

Re: Caliga

Post by Deschain » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:00 pm

Ok. Fortune follows the brave.

How bout:
Ether nightmare
  • Buff target enemy or self. If target is enemy it will become ethereal, slowed by X% and unable to use physical attacks. If used on Caliga then Caliga becomes ethereal and his attack switches to magickal. If target unit is allready ethereal the effect is dispelled. Ethereal units take 50% more from magickal but suffer no physical damage.
    Cooldown Y. Duration is set so that he can cast two of these almoost constantly.
I was kinda thinking this replaces Voidwalker but it feels meh...

Haunt
  • On attack debuff. When used Caliga has a short windows (3seconds) to attack. If he attacks then the target is afflicted with Haunt. When this buff ends, Caliga teleports to its position dealing X physical and 4 seconds cripple to all nearby units. Buff ends prematurely if unit moves more than Y from Caliga.
Those who seek war deserve for the war to find them.

Kurogamon
Keeper of the Keys

Post by Kurogamon » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:12 pm

I like Ether, interesting. Too useless when just casted on an enemy.

I have no problems with OSeal other than it being simple, and DoE is beautiful in simplicity. Maybe the effect can have some interaction with ethereal stuff, or things that aren't really there, like temporary images or disguises or allegiance effects? Also made me want to think about Mana. Maybe remove regen and cap mana at 10% or something like that for the duration of the seal?

Another thing I noticed is that Caliga is a real loner: He doesn't help the team really outside of slaughtering heroes and using OSeal. I think he's the most solo hero in the game. Maybe it's meant to be that way, but I felt sometimes that I didn't benefit from help much and couldn't help much.
Can you hear them?

Phox
Letter Linguist

Post by Phox » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:50 pm

Rising_Dusk wrote:I was actually thinking of having a hero contest for remaking Caliga. What would you all think of that? (Tends to get better results)
Do it!

Intoxicated Crayon
Keeper of the Keys

Post by Intoxicated Crayon » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:51 pm

Phox wrote:
Rising_Dusk wrote:I was actually thinking of having a hero contest for remaking Caliga. What would you all think of that? (Tends to get better results)
Do it!
WTF!

AM NOT READY TO FAIL SO SOON!1!!one!1!!!

It'd be really cool to have another hero contest : o.
English should not be a prerequisite for intelligence,

Oxygen
Grandmaster of Grammar

Post by Oxygen » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:12 pm

hero contest

Cooldood
Revenent of the Replies

Post by Cooldood » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:49 am

I'm one of those people that are horrible at Caliga (although I could say that about prettymuch every hero) - maybe its just me, but I feel like the ability to play him is totally dependant on your ability to work with his melee attack - which I'm not all that great at. People who innately do a good job of manoeuvring, hunting and hit-over-the-head will be beastly with him, and people who look for getting kills out of just hitting and timing his spells alone will fail. Personally though I still really like the way his skills work together, and don't think that just 'cos some people suck at using him he should be changed. Course, he could be made a bit less powerful in the hands of real skilled players.

Oh yeah, and I really used to like how he became totally ethereal in voidwalk.
Let the music flow through your soul

Walk the road, see the sights, cos boy, you aint coming back!

2-P
Revenent of the Replies

Post by 2-P » Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:09 am

Wouldn't it be faster/more effective to just make a "Caliga hero suggestions" sub-forum in which people can post (multiple) hero ideas? I guess it would take away the whole "contest atmosphere" but you'd be able to give feedback on the heroes immediately, instead of having to wait a month and hope that there's a good hero under the suggestions.
In the end it all boils down to "get your shit in my map".
Humans don't have the patience to wait even ten minutes for something!

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:55 pm

2-P wrote:Wouldn't it be faster/more effective to just make a "Caliga hero suggestions" sub-forum in which people can post (multiple) hero ideas? I guess it would take away the whole "contest atmosphere" but you'd be able to give feedback on the heroes immediately, instead of having to wait a month and hope that there's a good hero under the suggestions.
In the end it all boils down to "get your shit in my map".
Yeah, it would be faster, but then again, I'm not particularly looking for a fast release on 1.15. 1.14c is happy and by all rights good enough for awhile, there are some other things I'd rather work on at the moment. In lieu of that, I don't mind the wait. The contest style is funner for people, though more grueling for me by a long shot.

Anyways, if I don't do a contest, I am just going to leave it at this thread for discussion. A whole forum for it is really lame unless it's a contest.

2-P
Revenent of the Replies

Post by 2-P » Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:44 pm

I'm struggling with Tombreaver atm. I think it should be more "extreme", as in give a higher bonus but also bring a higher penalty for Caliga. Kinda like Discharge, something you should be really careful about when and how long you activate it.
What do you think?

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:57 pm

I like extreme things. Remember, I'm the guy that made EoD crit. So you're suggesting a muuuuch higher life drain, but make it hit like 4/6/8 times or something obscene? That could be real cool.

2-P
Revenent of the Replies

Post by 2-P » Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:31 pm

I'm not a fan of just increasing the life drain, so I'm searching for other ways atm. But good to hear that you like the idea. ^^

Rectifier
Revenent of the Replies

Post by Rectifier » Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:39 pm

Rising_Dusk wrote:I like extreme things. Remember, I'm the guy that made EoD crit. So you're suggesting a muuuuch higher life drain, but make it hit like 4/6/8 times or something obscene? That could be real cool.
Exactly how high of a life drain were you thinking of with this many attacks?

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:57 pm

Something that makes it as deadly to Caliga as Discharge is to Sozen.

Kurogamon
Keeper of the Keys

Post by Kurogamon » Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:35 pm

Drain 3% health per second? Ruin while active? Self-condition on deactivation?
Can you hear them?

Return to “Hero Reviews & Bug Reports”