What is Advent of Zenith really?

This is where all random discussion about AotZ goes. If it doesn't feel like it fits anywhere else but is still related to the map, this is the place to post it.
Ninja_Kero
Noobite Warrior

What is Advent of Zenith really?

Post by Ninja_Kero » Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:55 pm

Alright, I know someone is gonna try to smite me for this, but... I've never played Advent of Zenith. Yes I know! All I see hosted are Dota, Island Defense, a few tower defenses etc. I've played awhile and am interested in it fro mthe great things I've heard, but would like to know what you guys love about it, and anything I should know for my first time playing. What you say is important, as an example, I may just host it myself, unless you say something about nub hosts *cringes*. As a fellow gamer wishing to pick a game, please make my first time a good one ^^.

Side Note: My first few games of dota, horrible, all i got was shouts of "noob!" when i asked a question, threats of banning, and i could barely play because they had those idiotic pre-game quizes, asking the price of god knows what. There's a difference between someone new, and a noob. The noob runs directly into the enemy base to die. The new guy tries his best to play like the others and asks questions. Before you bite someones head off, try to tell them what they did wrong and what to do right before lowering the banhammer or custom kicking a guy. It's worth it to create a pro rather than slowly lose map players because of lack of fresh blood.
~"Sectum Sempra!" "What...are you doing?" "I'm cutting paper with magic!" "Put the pencil away"
"My wand will never leave this hand!" "If you don't leave my room I'm getting the sharpener"
"You've won this time, but I will be back!"

VZManticoran
Wielder of the Ctrl-Alt-Delete

Re: What is Advent of Zenith really?

Post by VZManticoran » Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:16 pm

What's your online screen name, and what server are you on? I'll teach ya next time I host you're on.
Image Image Image Image Image
--------Eli-------------Ben------------Alex----------Isabelle---------David----

Ninja_Kero
Noobite Warrior

Post by Ninja_Kero » Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:32 pm

Erm, this is my screename, and I use the US server. But what do you like about the map exactly, above other maps? =S

pandamanar
Revenent of the Replies

Post by pandamanar » Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:45 pm

there are two US servers... West or East.
http://signup.leagueoflegends.com/?ref=4c242dfce214c
Play League of Legends, get to level 10 and I get buffs.

Ninja_Kero
Noobite Warrior

Post by Ninja_Kero » Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:00 pm

Um... East? I'm pretty sure. Maybe it was Azeroth
~"Sectum Sempra!" "What...are you doing?" "I'm cutting paper with magic!" "Put the pencil away"
"My wand will never leave this hand!" "If you don't leave my room I'm getting the sharpener"

SetaSoujirou
Letter Linguist

Post by SetaSoujirou » Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:08 pm

Lordaeron = West. Azeroth = East. Less DotA in East. Crap-load of DotA and some random retarded non-english AoS on West. DotA pregame quizzes? Never heard of that ._. Too much hating on DotA, not enough hating on the people who play it. But enough of that.

Wanna play AotZ/DoE? Come stop by clan VZ (On East) You get a game every once in a while.
A wild §eta has appeared!
*Twinkle* Lv. 1337
No I'm not a troll.

pandamanar
Revenent of the Replies

Post by pandamanar » Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:38 pm

or perhaps you could come by clan OVRD some late night when we ACTUALLY get our shit together and play a match. Aotz hosters sometimes even have a nice roster of devoted AoTZ gamers on B.net (at least I know a few) and I could give you some names...
http://signup.leagueoflegends.com/?ref=4c242dfce214c
Play League of Legends, get to level 10 and I get buffs.

TheIrishPatriot
Grandmaster of Grammar

Post by TheIrishPatriot » Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:48 pm

I was scared somebody was asking a philosophical question :P. 'What is Aotz to you?'
Read my prose please :).
An tírghrá Éireannach

SetaSoujirou
Letter Linguist

Post by SetaSoujirou » Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:55 pm

pandamanar wrote:or perhaps you could come by clan OVRD some late night when we ACTUALLY get our shit together and play a match. Aotz hosters sometimes even have a nice roster of devoted AoTZ gamers on B.net (at least I know a few) and I could give you some names...
Too bad all the games are over rated on BNet nowadays.
TheIrishPatriot wrote:I was scared somebody was asking a philosophical question :P. 'What is Aotz to you?'
Lol. That would've been cool.
*Twinkle* Lv. 1337
No I'm not a troll.

Ninja_Kero
Noobite Warrior

Post by Ninja_Kero » Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:54 pm

TheIrishPatriot wrote:I was scared somebody was asking a philosophical question :P. 'What is Aotz to you?'
Who says I wasn't also asking philosophically? You obviously all love it for various reasons. Perhaps a specific strategy or some wierd glitchy thing =d, or just the people that play it.

Loki
Gypsy
Location: In a sea of paper cranes and a sky of paper planes.

Post by Loki » Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:03 pm

I play it because of Scamp and Dahaka. Fun.
Let's do what comes naturally
ImageImageImageImage
I'll be waiting in Haven.

LightburneR
Holder of the Alt-F4

Post by LightburneR » Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:36 am

It's unique.

The kind of feel you get from playing AotZ, sieging a base with a few heros and meteors, arrows, fireballs coming out from nowhere and trying to murder you as you strafe left and move right just to dodge them.

AotZ has an amazing lack of targetted spells and only one hero has a full assortment of them (Violet) which are even harder to use than any non-target-based spell I have ever seen in my life.

Basically what draws me to AotZ (and away from DotA) are how the characters should be used and the Items.

On a side note: Since when did DotA have quizzes? They bring newb-hate to a whole new level.

Ok so I do put quizzes sometimes, for other more teamwork-reliant games, it weeds out the more patient people. Really. The kind that actually asks you to let them stay to enjoy the game after a hardtime of quizzing :P, and those are the kind of people I really like.
Its... its... a NEW SIG!! OMG!!

O_O"

Co0kieL0rd
Champion Noobite

Post by Co0kieL0rd » Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:34 am

What I adore Advent of the Zenith for is the vaiety of the characters. You can't really say 'heroes' because each of them is more than just a hero. Each of them has a unique background and unique spells which are neither comparable to other character's spells nor to those of any hero in other maps. Every character can be very powerful, provided you can handle him/her. Meantime, there's none who is superior to others even if some of them seem to be.

The innovative hirable hero system implicates more diversification and strategy. I also like this map for not being focused on items but on intelligent spell usage.

My recommendation: Play the map a few times. Fight on both sides, choose different characters, don't choose just random but wisely as it is said in the beginning. If you test the map alone, you can procure an overview and learn the basics (e. g. where the travelling merchant stops) but it's real fun with at least 4 players on each side. One last tip: read the spell descriptions carefully because some of them might act differently as you had expected when you just read their name. Have fun with AotZ!
'Mind over Matter. My mind over your matter!'
'Bodies never seem to survive the impact. - Duly noted.'
'Do tell me - Is it hard to walk in midair?'

'KILL! MAIM! BURN!'
'Blood for the Blood God!'

'Defeat... is NOT an option!'
'COWARDS'

'Tch, headshot!'
'Big, strong and handsome? What else do you want?'

SetaSoujirou
Letter Linguist

Post by SetaSoujirou » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:36 am

AotZ is not AotZ without a 6v6. Anything less removes a lot of the epic-ness.
*Twinkle* Lv. 1337
No I'm not a troll.

Meliarune
Champion Noobite

Post by Meliarune » Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:28 pm

It's tough to get a 6v6 within 30 minutes unless you have dedicated players and aren't relying only on pubbies. :\ Maybe with a bit of luck. But then the games tend to not last as long as you've waited for in the lobby.

I like AotZ because it's the AoS that stands out the most for me. I like how virtually any hero can go by the entire game using just boots and potions (and maybe a trav. rod) but is naturally well-balanced in that it doesn't -require- an imbashit inventory to be threatening.

I like how the spells are very unique, or were at the date of their release. I haven't played absolutely every AoS map out there so I have no idea if anyone's been inspired by or just blatantly ripped off some of AotZ's hero abilities. Arro Kree was the first fluid creep-tossing "telekinetic" hero I'd ever played, just to name one.

I sort of miss the 1.XX series where heroes would actually issue speech when casting. While eventually annoying in some regards (Ginther: RAAAAAAGH!) I found it made them more alive, much like the units in WH40K: Dawn of War. The hero weapons were also a nice touch, if a bit heavy on the faction and a bit of a detractor. The item-aholics would stock up their resources in order to get that shiny thing and feel special, over hiring a hero (or several, faction-wise) that might've done a better job.

Overall it's still a refreshing experience everytime I play, if only that the everyday B.net community has a hard time joining games to actually play them out.

Return to “Updates & Discussion”