Herobuilding excercises.

If you want to suggest a hero or a modification to a current hero, please make a new topic and post it here. Please follow the stickied setup for suggestions (Unless it's a modification).
Kurogamon
Keeper of the Keys

Herobuilding excercises.

Post by Kurogamon » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:02 pm

Read through some peoples' posts of and on heroes, I've decided I might try my hand as both a heromaker and reviewer. These are loose ideas, some unconventional, that are meant as practice for both AotZ AND DoE. (No lore, crappy names, and no numbers). More will be added as we go, and if people like it, I'll put them into their own topics. Comment on methods to improvement please, including balance, names (This is going to be fun...), ability, interest, and most of all, depth. I want to gauge how complicated things should be. I'll have commentary too!

I have faith in Dusk's mapmaking abilities, so I won't hold back with limitations to coding problems.

Off we go...

Name: Natch, the Ephemeral Blade.
Primary Stat: Agility.
Faction: Order.
(Hero for AotZ only?)

:!: His damage should wildly vary, and he should be slightly faster than average.

Innate Passive: The Ephemeral Blade.
Every time Natch attacks or is hit, he gains X(Small number)% evasion and gives all nearby allies Y(An even smaller number)% evasion, up to a max of Z(High number, approaching 100%)%. Each stack of evasion gained this way wears off in Z seconds.

Level 1 Active: The Flickering Shadow.
Natch withdraws into an insubstantial shell, giving him a much-reduced collision size and speeding him up by X%. Natch takes Y% less Physical damage. This will preserve his current collision gained from Ephemeral Blade until it wears off in Z seconds. Leveling up this ability grants extra speed and more resistance.

Level 1 Active: The Rhythm of Death.
Every time Natch kills a unit, he speeds up, gaining momentum the longer he fights. Killing a unit gives +X(Small value)% attack speed, and causes Opportune Strike to speed up by Y. Each layer of the buff lasts Z seconds. Leveling this ability raises attack speed gain and speed increase.

Level 1 Passive/Active: The Opportune Strike. (Main ability.)
Every time something misses in an area of X around Natch, this icon will become active for 2 seconds. Pressing it when it is not active will incur a cooldown penalty of Y seconds.Pressing it in time will cause Natch to move behind the unit and strike it, dealing Y damage. (This is where Rhythm comes in, he will need some time to get behind the unit, giving him time to be hit.) If he successfully strikes the unit without being hit, it instantly cools down again, repeating until he either is hit while using it or something does not miss. Leveling this ability reduces cooldown penalty, increases damage, and slightly increases speed (To compensate for range)

Level 6 Elite: Stance of Perfection.
Opportune Strike causes enemies to suffer a condition reducing their hit chance every time they are hit by it, and he is invincible while in the middle of casting it.

Level 11 Ultimate: The Everlasting Nightmare. Channeling.
The enemy struck by this is swallowed in a nightmare, and given a 75% miss chance. All units but the target himself and Natch disappear from its sight. Images of Natch will appear, striking out at lightning speed. Lasts until either the target is dead, or manages to hit one of the images. Note: The images are only visible to the target, and it will not autotarget images, making the opponent have to click on them to have a potential to end it.

I made this one to take advantage of speed and reaction. The point is that he would build up momentum, and unleash a chain of hits that are nearly impossible to stop once he's active. Just an exercise in how a new, evasion-based hero would work. Would be horribly imba though...

Name: Wreath, Life's Link.
Primary Stat: Intelligence.
Faction: Order.
(Could be used in both with some modifications.)

Level 1 Active: Link of Life.
Links X units together in a permanently binding link (I've seen that there are problems with permanents, will it matter?) until one of the units die. X% of damage taken will be distributed around to all units, and all debuffs(On allies)/buffs(On enemies) are shared 50% to all units. (Clarification: When something is hit, it takes Y% of the damage, and the rest is evenly split. When something is hit with a buff/debuff, it receives Z% of the effect and the rest is split evenly. WORKS ON ENEMIES.

Level 1 Active: Mother Earth's Embrace.
Inspires a unit with uncommon valor and protection, giving it +X% attack speed and Y armor. If the target is linked to other units, all other units receive a half-strength buff.

Level 1 Passive: Life of the Land.
All nearby allies are blessed with the earth's life force. When a unit would die, it has a W% chance of surviving the fatal hit and being healed X. For every linked unit under the influence of the aura, Y is added to the chance of surviving and Z is added to the damage healed.

Level 6 Elite: In Unity There is Strength.
The land donates its strength to Wreath and nearby allies, giving them X armor and Y regeneration, and Z chance to entangle on attack for each unit affected. When it ends, affected units lose half of their remaining health.

Level 11 Ultimate: The Wrath of Nature.
Gives a mapwide blessing to allies, giving them large amounts of armor and massive regeneration, and a mapwide curse to enemies, giving them degen and reduced damage. Linked units receive doubled benefits.

R&R.
Can you hear them?

Cold Phoenix
Keeper of the Keys

Re: Herobuilding excercises.

Post by Cold Phoenix » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:44 pm

Ergh, pretty good for your first attempts but you need to cut down on all the forced synergy. (Bonuses for units linked by one spell) I can tell you now Dusk will not accept any innate unless it is completely fundamental to the hero, look at Sozen's for example. It is an extremely simple concept that makes all of his spells so much more interesting and tactical to use. It doesn't give him an unfair advantage over other heroes at level 1.

The first hero I think is just overly complicated. Cut down on extra features, like Opportune Strike is very hard to follow.

The second hero would honestly just be boring to play. No one really wants to trot around and give allies armor/life buffs the whole game.
Your move.

LightburneR
Holder of the Alt-F4

Re: Herobuilding excercises.

Post by LightburneR » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:02 am

Natch can work without his Innate.

Flickering Shadow does not appear to do much for the character other than make him more infinately irriating and harder to click.

Opportune Strike's unnessesary cancellation when he is hit seems like a flaw you included on purpose so that you could make it up with Stance of Perfection. (The name sounds off/odd)

Everlasting Nightmare could range from suck to instant kill. Due to that, dislike.

Wreath, like pheonix said, would be extremely boring to play.

And Link of Life is, for some reason or another, a Level 1 Skill that has forced synergy with everything.
Its... its... a NEW SIG!! OMG!!

O_O"

Return to “Hero Suggestions”