Hart, the Neverseeing (Herocrafting Exercise)

If you want to suggest a hero or a modification to a current hero, please make a new topic and post it here. Please follow the stickied setup for suggestions (Unless it's a modification).
Black_Heart
Holder of the Alt-F4

Hart, the Neverseeing (Herocrafting Exercise)

Post by Black_Heart » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:08 am

Hart
Neverseeing
Agility; Order of Secrets.

DISCLAIMER: This hero is an exercise in herocrafting, with my character from Kaome's Tangent 2 as the basis.

Level 1 Skill:
Whirling Dervish:
  • Targeted Dashing Strike
    Lore

Hart understands that when a skirmish arises, it is always better to end it quickly. To that end, he has perfected the art of striking his enemy before they understand he has closed the distance, and maneuvering them to his own advantage.
    Hart dashes toward the target point, stopping at the first unit he collides with or after traveling X distance. If the struck unit is an enemy, Hart performs a whirling slash, dealing Y damage and knocking struck units back.
Level 1 Skill:
Damnation:
  • Self Damage Multiplier & Quickening
    Lore

Hart exists solely to enact the will of the Deathand. He should have died long ago, but the Deathand prevented him from leaving for the land of the dead. Still, Hart is a man marked by his own demise. Pronouncing his own damnation, Hart takes on the swiftness of the reaper as he drags his foes to Hell with him.
    For X seconds, Hart takes Y% additional physical damage but moves Z% faster.
Level 1 Skill:
Anathema:
  • Momentum Attack Haste
    Lore

Hart's sword, Sünde, possesses a fell intelligence that lusts for the agonies of battle. As Hart wades into the fray, their consciousnesses begin to merge, resulting in a singular entity that exists solely for war.
    Every time Hart kills an enemy, he gains X% bonus attack speed, up to a limit of +Y%. This bonus persists as long as Hart is dealing or taking damage.
Level 1 Skill:
The Scarlet Gaze:
  • Activated Morale Breaker
    Lore

Hart's eyes were sliced out long ago, but wielding his dark blade has replaced some of his humanity with something else. During times of combat, Hart's empty sockets have been seen to flicker with a crimson glow – an unsettling sight, to say the least. Those who witness this often find it difficult to bring themselves close to him on the battlefield, and even harder to fight against him.
    While active, Hart takes gradual magick damage but all enemies within X distance have Y% reduced attack speed.
Ultimate:
Heartbreaker:
  • Life Termination
    Lore

Sünde, the demonically empowered sword that Hart wields, has slain those from all walks of life. When faced with an opponent resistant to normal blows, Sünde has been seen to glisten with a crimson gore that sinks into its opponents' wounds and burns them from within.
    For X seconds, Hart's attacks deal Y% of the target's remaining life in bonus damage.
Comments:

Nothing much to say, really. I wanted to see if I'd learned from my experience making the Laughing God, and if I could make a decent hero completely on my own. This is the product of that. So... comment away?
Last edited by Black_Heart on Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image Image Image

Rectifier
Revenent of the Replies

Re: Hart, the Neverseeing (Herocrafting Exercise)

Post by Rectifier » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:29 pm

So to sum up this hero's abilities (i assume you want herocrafting advice):

Non-Damage Abilities:
Can increase his move speed for a penalty, his attack speed while being committed to attacking or tanking, decrease enemy attack speed by using health.

The move speed thing is like Sprint from Slardar in Dota. The attack speed increase while attacking is like the old ability from Beastmaster in Dota. The decrease enemy attack speed thing is somewhat unique.

Damage Abilities:
A dash+knockback that deals damage. The ultimate deals extra damage based on a % of unit's current hp.

The dash and knockback sounds very samurai-ish, but it's a good skill. His ultimate basically sounds like one of Naix's skills where he does that and gains the hp dealt by the bonus damage as life steal.

Notes:
First thing I noticed, very little damaging abilities, it would take some fine-tuning to make this hero able to compete with nukers or beefy melee characters. So not inherently bad, just something to keep in mind.

The sprint-like ability is good, sounds like a great ability for this light melee type fighter. The attack speed ability is also great for a light melee fighter, but I would rather see it on a per attack basis rather than a per kill basis, just my opinion; but it definitely could work very well combined with sprint and his dash ability to chase people.

As for the aura that uses your health to power it, that's a no-no for most agility based heroes. Light melee types tend to need all the hp they can get so they don't get slammed by heavy nukes. Using an ability that is against that thought would make it very hard to use correctly, and likely would be the least used ability by people who played this hero.

The dashing ability is awesome on an agility hero, and also I love knockback for low hp type heroes (Magoichi).

The ultimate is fine, but it seems somewhat bland, if this person is the neverseeing (whatever that is), does this fit the theme of it?

Typical Combos:
Using the dash to damage the hero and kill a few creeps with the attack speed buff active and his ultimate active, then using sprint to chase and finish them off.

Activate the aura, dash into a large group of creeps and then turn the aura off while running away, perhaps sprinting to run away; all to defend a place for a couple seconds. Very very risky, this hero does NOT seem to have a defense mechanism against a larger group of enemies.

Black_Heart
Holder of the Alt-F4

Post by Black_Heart » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:01 pm

Rectifier wrote:First thing I noticed, very little damaging abilities, it would take some fine-tuning to make this hero able to compete with nukers or beefy melee characters. So not inherently bad, just something to keep in mind.
Well, this is something that would come into play later. You can't really judge this without putting numbers to him and knowing how much damage his dash does, how much damage his ult does, how much he right-clicks for, etc. I do see your point though.
Rectifier wrote:As for the aura that uses your health to power it, that's a no-no for most agility based heroes. Light melee types tend to need all the hp they can get so they don't get slammed by heavy nukes. Using an ability that is against that thought would make it very hard to use correctly, and likely would be the least used ability by people who played this hero.
To counter this point I direct you to Caliga Err' from DoE. His ultimate drains health, and he's an agility hero, and he works marvelously. In fact, one of the points of that skill is the damage because it maintains his passive even if he's not in combat.
Rectifier wrote:The ultimate is fine, but it seems somewhat bland, if this person is the neverseeing (whatever that is), does this fit the theme of it?
Well, I wanted it to tie into the rest of his skills. This way, his passive phenomenally increases the damage his ult is capable of if used correctly, his dash gets him in range, etc. I do see your point, though. I'll think on it.
Rectifier wrote:Very very risky, this hero does NOT seem to have a defense mechanism against a larger group of enemies.
Well, he isn't really meant to be a tank. He isn't fragile enough to instantly die when attacked, but he isn't meant to solo creep waves in any fashion. Additionally, the dash can be used for escaping as well.

I edited Damnation and the Scarlet Gaze to make that combo a bit more obvious.
Image Image Image Image

Rectifier
Revenent of the Replies

Post by Rectifier » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:42 pm

Black_Heart wrote:Well, this is something that would come into play later. You can't really judge this without putting numbers to him and knowing how much damage his dash does, how much damage his ult does, how much he right-clicks for, etc. I do see your point though.
Yeah, he can still do plenty of damage output, but it all comes from internal sources affecting him rather than him affecting things around him, does that make sense to you when I say that?

I think I might just be opinionated on this one instead of theorycrafting.
Black_Heart wrote:To counter this point I direct you to Caliga Err' from DoE. His ultimate drains health, and he's an agility hero, and he works marvelously. In fact, one of the points of that skill is the damage because it maintains his passive even if he's not in combat.
Yes I see your point, but keep in mind that Caliga does have an extremely good escape mechanism.
Black_Heart wrote:Well, I wanted it to tie into the rest of his skills. This way, his passive phenomenally increases the damage his ult is capable of if used correctly, his dash gets him in range, etc. I do see your point, though. I'll think on it.
Yeah, ultimates are pretty hard to nail on some heroes. If I knew what theme you were going for on this hero, I could attempt to throw a few ideas out there.
Black_Heart wrote:Well, he isn't really meant to be a tank. He isn't fragile enough to instantly die when attacked, but he isn't meant to solo creep waves in any fashion. Additionally, the dash can be used for escaping as well.

I edited Damnation and the Scarlet Gaze to make that combo a bit more obvious.
Hmm, I don't necessarily mean a tank, but, I guess I am biased in that I like heroes who can handle creeps fairly easily.

SetaSoujirou
Letter Linguist

Post by SetaSoujirou » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:56 pm

Black_Heart wrote: To counter this point I direct you to Caliga Err' from DoE. His ultimate drains health, and he's an agility hero, and he works marvelously. In fact, one of the points of that skill is the damage because it maintains his passive even if he's not in combat.
He is strength, no?
Besides the fact that the health drained is minimal.
A wild §eta has appeared!
*Twinkle* Lv. 1337
No I'm not a troll.

Black_Heart
Holder of the Alt-F4

Post by Black_Heart » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:02 pm

SetaSoujirou wrote:He is strength, no?
Besides the fact that the health drained is minimal.
Is he? I could have sworn he was agility... but either way, who says the health drain isn't minimal here, too?
Image Image Image Image

Rectifier
Revenent of the Replies

Post by Rectifier » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:29 am

It can be counteracted by like...6 hp/s regen and his natural regen at uhh, level 12?

Return to “Hero Suggestions”