Thief announced

The MMORPG revolutionary by ANet combining classic instances with massive online gaming to create one of the most original and phenomenal games ever.
Oxygen
Grandmaster of Grammar

Thief announced

Post by Oxygen » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:45 pm

Scorpion Wire: Brings your foe to you, while always fun, ultimately overused in all MMO's. I can't believe they'd release an official video with obvious swords-going-through-stuff-without-slicing-it-or-at-least-displaying-blood. The gruawl's animations are really clunky.

Cluster Shot: Warrior's Arced arrow, except that it blows up in multiple almost undiscernable shrapnels. Feels like a Ranger skill, though I can see that fun and rewarding to use if it has to be aimed and hits hard.

Leaping Death Blossom: Spinny jump matrix style, apparently cleaves its damage and moves the thief behind the target. I like that, potential synergy with a backstab-by ability?

Shadow Shot: The opposite of Scorpion Wire in the sense that it's a pistol shot that brings you right to your foe. Will you have to somehow aim that fps style? Would this make it impossible to escape a Thief?

Steal: By far the worst "thing" I've seen out of GW2. The skill, while pretty ridiculous itself, is presented in a manner that made me laugh obnoxiously. Sorry @ ventrilo people. The "situation" is a thief faced with a huge foe that looks like a cross between an ogre and a troll. After dancing around and tickling the monster's legs with his blade, the rogue is smashed to the ground by a club the size of a f*cking full grown tree, gets back up just fine, and enters camouflage/stealth mode. The thief then "steals" (and by that, I mean, waves his arm in the vincinity of the ent's left leg) a branch no bigger than his sword from a tree that was conveniently walking by, and then goes to hit the trollogre, which flies 15 feet away. Real disapoint.

Link: http://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/p ... ent=header

Oxygen
Grandmaster of Grammar

Re: Thief announced

Post by Oxygen » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:36 pm

So, I wrote this "blind" review something like 2 years ago when the thief was announced as a profession for GW2. Was I off the mark? Let us find out!
Oxygen wrote:Scorpion Wire: Brings your foe to you, while always fun, ultimately overused in all MMO's.
What you saw is what you got, more or less. I say more or less because it functions as advertised... sometimes. It runs into the obnoxious issue of being obstructed by the most minute of elevations, and has one of the slowest projectile speed in the entire game, making it very easy to avoid. Its range indicator is also very misleading due to the projectile's speed, at times making you believe that you are in range of a target running directly away when you aren't, as the projectile is "launched" from your current location without accounting for your target's movement between the time of the launch and arrival.

It has some damage tacked onto it, but the damage is so low that I don't see why it has it in the first place.

I'll also add that it's a very unnecessary skill. Thieves come with plenty of gap closers. It however has notably good dungeon uses, but only because it's clearly bugged and can be used to invidually pull hostile pack members, one at a time.

Its saving grace, if any, is that it has a very low cooldown (20 seconds) for a utility skill, and it's a projectile finisher. Which in most cases is just tiny bits of extra damage.
Oxygen wrote:Cluster Shot: Warrior's Arced arrow, except that it blows up in multiple almost undiscernable shrapnels. Feels like a Ranger skill, though I can see that fun and rewarding to use if it has to be aimed and hits hard.
Renamed to Cluster Bomb. Has to be aimed, and hits reasonably hard. The shrapnel aspect of the skill is absolutely useless in its intent (larger AoE) because the chances for them to hit are literally 0, unless you detonate the bomb right off the floor, which negates their purpose. Used to be a 1200 range skill, recently nerfed to 900 for no apparent reason (anet didn't give out their reasoning), making the thief the only class without a 1200 range attack. Lame.
Oxygen wrote:Leaping Death Blossom: Spinny jump matrix style, apparently cleaves its damage and moves the thief behind the target. I like that, potential synergy with a backstab-by ability?
Renamed to Death Blossom. A misplaced skill, in my opinion, that does a lot of condition damage and subpar direct aoe damage... in a set that is comprised of entirely direct damage based skills. The evasion part of the skill being 1/4th (!!) of a second only, while the entire thing lasts 1 entire second makes it very akward to use for evasive purposes.
Oxygen wrote:Shadow Shot: The opposite of Scorpion Wire in the sense that it's a pistol shot that brings you right to your foe. Will you have to somehow aim that fps style? Would this make it impossible to escape a Thief?
What you saw was what you got. Redundant as a gap closer with heartseeker, which is also part of the same weaponset. However, allows you to not break stealth and shadowstep to a target unlike the other, which is nice. Used to root you in place for the following strike, which sucked, but that changed. Thankfully.
Oxygen wrote:Steal: By far the worst "thing" I've seen out of GW2. The skill, while pretty ridiculous itself, is presented in a manner that made me laugh obnoxiously. Sorry @ ventrilo people. The "situation" is a thief faced with a huge foe that looks like a cross between an ogre and a troll. After dancing around and tickling the monster's legs with his blade, the rogue is smashed to the ground by a club the size of a f*cking full grown tree, gets back up just fine, and enters camouflage/stealth mode. The thief then "steals" (and by that, I mean, waves his arm in the vincinity of the ent's left leg) a branch no bigger than his sword from a tree that was conveniently walking by, and then goes to hit the trollogre, which flies 15 feet away. Real disapoint.
Not only was I right about how lame this skill is, but also does this happen to be the thief MECHANIC. Other classes get super cool stuff, and thieves get a 1 button thing on a 45 seconds cooldown.

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Re: Thief announced

Post by Rising_Dusk » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:44 pm

Yeah, your ideas are basically spot on. My thief and I agree with you. ;)
"I'll come to Florida one day and make you look like a damn princess." ~Hep

Return to “Guild Wars 2”