Scriptfrenzy: The Sequel to NaNoWriMo

If you want to discuss novels, poems, or just submit your own creations for criticism and enjoyment you can do so here.
Vinnam
Wielder of the Ctrl-Alt-Delete

Scriptfrenzy: The Sequel to NaNoWriMo

Post by Vinnam » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:18 pm

Christ Baty wrote: Dear Off-Season Novelist,

Greetings! If you're like me, you've been doing everything under the sun to avoid starting in on that novel rewrite. Happily, I'm here with an opportunity to help you put off thinking about novel revisions for another two beautiful months.

It's called Script Frenzy and it's organized by us here at the Office of Letters and Light. Script Frenzy runs from April 1 to April 30. The challenge: Write a 100-page movie, play, graphic novel, or series of TV scripts in a month.

You can check it out at http://www.scriptfrenzy.org.

I had never thought about writing a movie before Jen and the Script Frenzy gang made me do it years ago. To me, script formatting was too intimidating. And then there was the Courier font thing! I'm a Times New Roman guy myself, and I was a little nervous about having to learn my way around a new font at my ag e.

But you know what? Writing a script was crazy amounts of fun, and the font switch-over didn't require the months of mental preparation I'd feared it would. There are heaps of free programs that will handle all the formatting for you, and telling a story through conversations gave me insights on novel-writing in ways I never would have expected. I learned how to write dialogue that actually moved a story forward, I tightened and toned my plotting muscles, and I also got full rights to whine and complain about the mediocre quality of Hollywood movie scripts (having written a mediocre Hollywood movie script myself).

In short: Bliss.

In Script Frenzy, you can write with a partner, and you're also allowed to do adaptations of other works (including your own novels!). We explain all the formatting stuff with helpful overviews, and you'll get great pep talks from Jen and other people who know what they're talking about. We also have a batch of gr eat new Script Frenzy merchandise and donor goodies in the OLL store.

Sound intriguing? Come join the Frenzy! Your NaNoWriMo log-in works on the Script Frenzy site. And if you're a teacher looking for a way to get your kids fired up about language arts, the Script Frenzy Young Writers Program awaits. We have free curricula and lesson plans for elementary, middle and high school educators, hilarious downloadable scriptwriting workbooks for kids and teens, and a four-week scriptwriting bootcamp to teach all the basics.

You can visit the Script Frenzy YWP site at http://ywp.scriptfrenzy.org.

Yay, Frenzy!

Chris Baty
NaNoWriMo & The Office of Letters and Light
Anyone else gonna be doing this, other than me?
Trainer: Brendan Creed
ImageImageImage
Lineup: Noir & Batista

Return to “Literary Arts”