Free Internet Book from Brandon Sanderson!

If you want to discuss novels, poems, or just submit your own creations for criticism and enjoyment you can do so here.
Rectifier
Revenent of the Replies

Free Internet Book from Brandon Sanderson!

Post by Rectifier » Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:04 pm

It's Warbreaker written by Brandon Sanderson. He's the author that will be writing the end of the Wheel of Time series. In fact that cover art is already up for the 1st book in that last massive tome that will be the final chapter in the series. I have read the prologue and it seems like it will have a very interesting and unique magic type system in the novel (in other books he has written he has created unique magic systems). Also, he's known for having characters that actually behave like human beings and fit their ages. I'm actually surprised that his newly released book is out for free in a pdf, but I guess he wanted to try being more savvy or something, I don't know. He did post something about it on his blog, but I haven't read it yet. Regardless, if you want to read a complete Science Fiction/Fantasy novel for free, enjoy.

Here's the book itself in pdf format: http://www.brandonsanderson.com/drafts/ ... 1st_ed.pdf
Synopsis

The capital of Hallandren is T'telir, a beautiful city by the sea, a center of the dyeing trade where colorfully-dressed crowds mill through the bustling streets, and living gods rule in splendor, confined to the gilded cage known as the Court of Gods. Under the rule of the remote, all-powerful God King, they live in the lap of luxury, basking in the worship of the people, accepting in tribute the gifts of freely-given breath, the life-force that keeps them alive and eternally youthful.

But Hallendren did not reach this halcyon state without a struggle, a revolution that left those who rejected it living in austere exile in the mountain realm of Idris. To keep the peace, the exiled royal family agreed in this generation to the betrothal of a daughter of the royal line to the God King. Vivenna, the eldest daughter, was raised from birth to fulfill this commitment, but at the last minute, her wily father, King Dedelin, sends his youngest daughter, Siri, instead. Vivenna is furious about losing the role that terrified her and yet defined her life, and baffled that her father expects poor Siri to cope with the monstrous God King with no training and less warning. So Vivenna secretly flees their small mountain realm to follow her sister.

Siri, in whom the blood of the old kings runs strong, is no weakling herself, but she is shocked to find the city, the people, and even the royal marriage itself are not at all what she expected. Unaware of Vivenna's arrival in T'telir, she is forced to take matters into her own hands.

And while this royal drama plays out, another newcomer to the city, Vasher, arrives with a sentient sword named Nightblood, and ambitious plans of his own, plans dependent on the unique BioChromatic magic of Hallandren, which uses color to focus the power of breath, plans which will change the world.

In the tradition of his own acclaimed debut novel, Elantris, in Warbreaker Brandon Sanderson has written a supremely entertaining and endlessly surprising epic fantasy in one volume. It is an adventure, a romance, a witty tale of political intrigue, and even an examination of the ethics of divinity and the power of religion. Like all his novels, Warbreaker breaks the mold of conventional fantasy to create a reading experience you will never forget.

Return to “Literary Arts”