[D-] Gariin, Legio Infortunium

Let's play a game. If you win, you might just get some representation in DoE!
VZShadowRain
Holder of the Alt-F4

[D-] Gariin, Legio Infortunium

Post by VZShadowRain » Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:16 pm

Gariin
Legio Infortunium
Intelligence, Hallowed Order

Story: Gariin, avatar of the one all humans call "Lady Luck," is one of her more fun-loving associates. He can create an absence of luck around areas, souls, or groups. Although many talk of him with sadness, he never takes away luck without good reason - good reason in his eyes, but reason nonetheless. He had noticed that his mistress was smiling upon the hallowed order and he was curious as to exactly what was happening down in the desert. He found that there was a war of sorts, and the currents of luck were strong and uneven. While he was peaceably watching, a pesky creature tried to attack him, knowing he was the avatar of an anti-voidwalker. It was a minion of the Bane, but it made Gariin annoyed enough to start displacing any luck that may happen to shine upon the foul creatures. It was his duty, after all, to make the unlikely... likely.

Level 1 Skill:
Jinx (Aura)
  • Gariin directs the flow of luck around nearby enemies, giving them enough misfortune so that they manage to harm themselves, or fall into allied traps more easily. Whenever an enemy unit in a 300/325/350/375/400/425 radius area around Gariin physically attacks an allied unit, that enemy unit takes 4/8/12/16/20 damage, doubled if it is suffering from a condition.
Level 1 Skill:
Stumble (Area Debuff)
  • Gariin deflects a flow of luck to one area, causing widespread misfortune for a short time. All enemy units in a 200 radius area are afflicted. Whenever afflicted enemy units physically attack an allied unit, their maim conditions are extended by 2/2.25/2.5/2.75/3 seconds. Whenever afflicted units are physically attacked, their cripple conditions are extended by 1/1.25/1.5/1.75/2 seconds. Lasts 5 seconds.
Level 1 Skill:
Fortune's Cloak (Target Allied Invisibility)
  • Although Gariin is known as the carrier of misfortune, it is in reality that he is one who guides the current of luck, allowing an absence in some areas and a high concentration in others. He can temporarily give a friendly unit an intense concentration of luck around them, allowing every harmful glance to look in a different direction. For 7 seconds, target allied unit gains breakable invisibility and that unit is healed 10/15/20/25/30 hit points every second while invisible.
Level 6 Ultimate:
Infelicitas (Target Enemy Debuff)
  • This level of misfortune can only be reached when Gariin diverts the flow of luck so that none can reach you. Your misfortune is so strong that immaterial forces can wreak havoc upon you. Lasts 7 seconds. Whenever target enemy unit receives a condition, that unit receives another random condition (Excluding knockdown) for 3/5/7 seconds.
Comments: As you can probably notice, he's a heavy support hero.
Last edited by VZShadowRain on Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:49 pm, edited 7 times in total.
-ShadowRain Image

Internet is the cocaine of the mind. -My Friend

andriejj
Keeper of the Keys

Re: Gariin, Legio Infortunium

Post by andriejj » Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:41 pm

I don't really like him. He has 3 offensive spells cast on a target, so when you want to kill someone, you would cast everything at the same time. That's not a great synergy and that's not fun to play :/

And that invisible spell seems like a forced addition here, only because of rules, guide lines.

I'd keep the ultimate and rethink the rest.

VZShadowRain
Holder of the Alt-F4

Post by VZShadowRain » Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:15 pm

To use invisibility is not to base a hero upon it. Explicate your hatred if you would.
-ShadowRain Image

andriejj
Keeper of the Keys

Post by andriejj » Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:54 pm

Where you have hatred? Just expressed my opinion. And I explicated why I don't like it. Didn't write a composition about it, yes, but I think I made it clear, why I don't like this hero. Oh one more thing- invisibility by itself is very good (remember Morgana), but with heal- it's imba.

Mr_Poppykins
CAPS LOCK INCARNATE

Post by Mr_Poppykins » Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:43 pm

I'm a bad news first kind of guy. Three of this hero's skills are debuffs, the other being a buff, and they're all click-shoot. I don't think that really fits into DoE so much. In AotZ Violet has 4 debuffs and a nuke, all click-shoot, and Dusk isn't terribly happy with her as she stands. If you could think of new ways to go about getting the same effects(mostly), I think this hero would be better for it.

Grin is a pretty cool idea, but as it stands now I see it as being imbalanced. A 300 damage fireball X 125%? Ouch. Doubled if they have a condition? GFG. The damage possibilities with this may be too great.

Stumble is great. The maim increase could actually go up, because after the first attack, with -50% attack speed, it takes a couple seconds to swing again, and the maim could actually wear off before they connect.

I don't see the same problem with Fortunes Cloak as andriejj. For them to take full advantage of the heal, they have to not do anything to break their invisibility. It's pretty much one or the other, use the invisibility to sneak and ambush, or use it to escape the fight and heal. This of course is me assuming the heal wears off if the invisibility does.

Infelicitas is pretty good too. It could actually last a little bit longer I think.

So then, my major concern is with all the click-shoot debuffyness of the skills.

VZShadowRain
Holder of the Alt-F4

Post by VZShadowRain » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:09 pm

Oh heck, you're right. Everything is click-shoot. O.O

I also see the whole problem with Grin. It's a lot more damage than I thought at first. Ok, Grin will be scrapped - I never really liked it anyway. Maybe I can make something other than click shoot. Any ideas?

I also really like Stumble. It was one of my favorite and I don't think it's going to change all that much. Maybe I should change the maim to 2/2/3/3/4? Also, does it have enough incentive to level up? It gets really incredible, but at level two and 4 it doesn't change at all. Do you think that's fine or should I change the duration too? Maybe 4/5/5/6/6 second duration.

Fortune's Cloak is a skill that I made with your ideas Poppy. If you wanted to heal, then you could sit. If you wanted to ambush, then you could. Either way, Lady Luck is smiling and you might as well reap the benefits. Maybe I can change this a bit, but I'm not sure I want to.

Gariin's ultimate is something I've been reworking for a couple days. It had at least 5 different forms before I posted this hero, and I think I like this one a lot. It's beastly with Stumble and it can completely wreak an enemy if an allied hero gets in the picture. So, maybe an added duration... Maybe 7 second duration? I don;t want to change this from click-shoot, but maybe I could make it more selective - not sure how to change this other than an increase to duration.
-ShadowRain Image

Mr_Poppykins
CAPS LOCK INCARNATE

Post by Mr_Poppykins » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:13 pm

For a Grin replacement, I'm sorry to say I don't have anything in mind. With Stumble, there has to be some kind of reason to level it up each level. Maybe you could make it into an AoE type spell that affects all enemies with the on attack maim, when attacked cripple, and have it do some minor damage per second. That way you can have at least one thing that could go up by some amount each level. One click shoot buff, Fortune's Cloak, and one click shoot debuff, Infelicitas, is okay, then the AoE version of Stumble and Grin's replacement would round everything out.

VZShadowRain
Holder of the Alt-F4

Post by VZShadowRain » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:25 pm

Updated things a bit.
-ShadowRain Image

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:44 pm

Review:
  • General Pros:
    - Cute theme
  • General Cons:
    - Too much fluffy story in skills, tough to read
    - Too debuffy for my tastes, not a fan of buffs in this application
    - Random invisibility
    - No invisibility interaction
  • Final Thoughts:
    - Two skills are click shoot, one is a target area, one is passive, not feeling it
    - Ultimate felt very lackluster for this kind of hero
    - Ultimate lacks control over its effect (Cant rely on the aura)
  • End Grade:
    D-
"I'll come to Florida one day and make you look like a damn princess." ~Hep

Return to “Hero Contest #2”