And The Winner Is...

Let's play a game. If you win, you might just get some representation in DoE!

Who do you want to win?

Poll ended at Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:19 pm

Poppy's Canus Unum
46%
Daryll's Thorrum Cainus
13%
Storm's Travayl
41%

Total votes: 56

Hell_Tempest
Grandmaster of Grammar

Re: And The Winner Is...

Post by Hell_Tempest » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:11 pm

I just chose Poppy's hero because, in the end, it was one over the other. They were both equally good, IMO, and I just picked one.

Pigger
Revenent of the Replies

Post by Pigger » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:51 pm

Ok, here’s my review of the heroes. And to first put it out, none are set in stone, but the basic idea is laid out. I’ll begin with my least favorite to most. My opinions changed as I reviewed each hero, but I still feel the order I put them in was the best.

Travayl

• Lead Strike - Best skill on the whole hero. Although not the most original or anything, it is simple and quite effective. It pulls into play what the Order needs; single hero killers, chasers. It helps get into the fray, finish off a running hero, or pull an ambush on a hero going by. Alone it is very helpful, paired with the other skills, they don’t seem to fit.

Reawakening - A heal on an assassin type hero? A little odd…, and it’s a condition purge, very helpful, but it seems too defensive to me. Keeping with Storm’s original idea, it resets cooldowns. That is very helpful with Lead Strike the most, seeing as it allows double-jumping, and then paired with the ultimate, a nice bit of invisibility. Overall, I believe it to be too defensive for the hero.

Opportunity - A blind, very useful in situations, again, it feels more of a defensive ability. There lacks damage, which pushes more for its defensive use. Its spammability makes it quite handy for tossing out the conditions, but where does it help out with the rest of the hero? A blind is tossed out for no reason what so ever. It is used with his ultimate for the use of casting a spell, but other than that it has no synergy.

Master of Deception
    - Ah, the invisibility. A nice way to apply it, but I preferred Storm’s better. It’s the same thing, but compared with Storm’s original, this is lamesauce. I mean, yea, you can LS onto an enemy and then turn invisible, but how does that help at all? You get maybe a few hits in, be forced to Opportunity to stay invisible, they already can’t hit you if you’re invisible unless they have an eye, so what’s the point of blind?

Final Thoughts
– I said I loved your mind Dusk, but I guess I’m not following it on this hero. My least favorite of the three. The synergy doesn’t seem to fly here, condition interaction actually looks like crap, one condition is used total, and conditions again are only used in two of the skills. This hero feels too defensive, and Order doesn’t need defense in my opinion, especially when its on a wannabe hero killer like this.

I maybe be assuming on the whole hero killer thing too, but going off that assumption, how is this guy supposed to kill? He has one ability that deals damage, and three that aid in him taking less damage. I realize attacking is always the option, but nothing in here is helping him get any good attacking done, no crippling, no added damage, nothing. The only way he’ll be able to get attacks in would be to go invisible for a few seconds, sneak in, strike once or twice, blind, attack a little more, lead, attack, reawake, lead, and hope the hero is stupid enough to not stick around. The possibility is there (As I just plainly spelled out in the last sentence), but to me that feels no fun when one ability is just there to trigger the ultimate, and the other’s main role is also plumped up with a heal and condition removal. An assassin in training.

Canus Unum
  • Engulf – As someone said before, why –X armor? Why not ruin? Minor detail…A very handy skill, allows for great team play, very nice skill, I guess I’ll just leave it at that. No complaints at all, its great for team play but doesn’t help the hero by itself out all too much, either way it works!

Black Hole Sun – Very cool skill, a ward that makes the hero unbreakably invisible. Ties with Stille if the hero is willing to lose invisibility, and even betting because it is spammy. It’s a personal use ability that can be used with the team and even further with its own skills as you showed. Stacking them makes for a nice solid and dependable invisibility.

Darkwake
    – A cool spell, but it reminds me WAY too much of Innert’s Schism. It triggers a time after its cast, its spammable, and it applies Blind (which Innert used to). I’m assuming it’s a target-point cast spell, and not cast at the heroes location, either way it just seems like a different form of Schism.

Penumbra
    – I’m having a little trouble understanding this skill, but I seem to like it anyway. It follows a unit, but, is it the unit it’s following have the burn extended and all that jazz, or is it in an AoE around the beam that the effects take place? Does it switch targets when someone else is closer, or does it follow the unit until it dies? If the latter of the first question, it feels powerful, if the latter of the second, even more so, but if it is the first of both, I feel it may be a little gimp if the target can outrun it, but at the same time being able to move from target to target is nice, albeit slightly unreliable.

Final Thoughts
– The more I looked at this hero, the more I liked it than when I first saw it. As you had said, the luring of Penumbra with BHS can be useful, I like the idea of having your spell stalking prey by manipulating it. I like the overlapping of BHS and its capability for infinite invis, limited only by mana. My main problem with this hero is that I can’t find very much connection between the skills. They’re all powerful in their own ways, but I can’t tie any to the other really. I really don’t know what else to say other than that.

Thorrum Cainus

• Rock Crusher
    – Handy Handy Handy. I love this skill, a double edged blade with devastating effects. A quick and easy ruin application in an AoE is very deadly, coupled with the damage makes it a force to be reckoned with. Its pros are balanced with its cons, and it can be tied together with the other skills rather nicely. Even if you were to make the damage physical, if the player stocked up on armor items, a double cast of this (if ruin were to last long enough) would make this the enemy’s worst nightmare. A cannon to be used with caution.

Outrage
    – I’ve been waiting for a skill like this. As someone said, it seems like a delayed SotN, that is precisely it, but possibly even more powerful, and for a level one skill no less! With enough timing, planning, and mana, Thorrum would be able to rack up enough hits to make him a swift and deadly chaser. The increased movement allowing him to set up for a Rock Crusher, and the attack speed to tear the enemy a new asshole. Even better yet, it can also be used defensively as needed. Rack up the hits, finish an enemy off with Rock Crusher, deactive, then gtfo before you are scrapped. The duration is a con but six seconds at max movespeed is plenty of time.

Grinder
    – Ah, the WIP skill. Although I would much rather prefer the reincarnation skill from before, this is less on the imbalanced side. Perfect synergy. It passively increases damage, which allows ruin to be more devastating, and Outrage’s attack speed to be deadlier. Basic synergy but synergy none the less. Team play is also added with the increased damage per condition, which makes nobody ever want to have a condition on them with ol’ Thorrum nearby.

Reality Bender
    – Mmmm, I can taste the awesomeness. Although the invisibility is somewhat like Travayl’s in that it is passive and can be self sustained, it is far more reliable and is more useful on this hero than Travayl’s is. Invisibility is key for Thorrum, with his double edged blade he requires the defense of invisibility. Quick infiltration is capable tied with Outrage, and sustained with Rock Crusher. Synergy is found, and nothing too farfetched!

Final Thoughts
– When you first introduced this hero online, I loved it, as I still do. The third skill fits so far, but I feel like maybe some more condition interaction could be tied with Outrage or something. A stealthy, swift dwarf with the capability to tear down heroes in the blink of an eye. He begins a battle with a blast and ends with a swift retreat, or a suicidal death wish that leaves the Bane with a hole in their forces that they may not recover from. I’ve kind of lost my critic side of me as the night moves on, but I still believe that Thorrum would be by far the most fun to play, along with skill synergy and hero killing capabilities.

I do not feel that all the heroes are 100% a final thought. That may be an insult or a mind reading, you had completed them all in a small amount of time. Condition interaction did not seem to play too much of a role in these heroes, which confused me a bit. I hope the critique is helpful, and I guess because we are all different, the way we look at each hero changes from person to person.

Hell_Tempest
Grandmaster of Grammar

Post by Hell_Tempest » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:03 pm

I think Pigger pretty much summed it up.

shalnath
Holder of the Alt-F4

Post by shalnath » Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:25 am

Hell_Tempest wrote:I think Pigger pretty much summed it up.
Yeah, I like my submitted version a lot more. :x
You could just replace Envenom with the blink strike and give it a condition.
"Within every world, there are cultures, within every culture, there are groups, within every group, there are leaders. These leaders are not truly chosen, they are destined, it is their fate to lead, and it is this fate that drives them. Souls yearn to be driven, they in themselves can not direct, however, these leaders are predetermined, by whatever means, to guide the wills and mend the errors of these wandering souls. A forest, cold, cured, flawless, meticulous, and fearful, what drives it, what keeps the balance? The inner beings of all the co-existant creatures swarm together, and every one is guided by another, in more a cycle, then a hierarchy. The eyes of a forest are always watching and guiding, yet the sun never sets on the forest, and it never shall." ~ The Chaos Theory

Rising_Dusk
Chosen of the Intargweeb

Post by Rising_Dusk » Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:50 am

– I said I loved your mind Dusk, but I guess I’m not following it on this hero.
To be honest, I probably would have noticed the same issues when I started making the hero. I guess I was too rushed when I was throwing them together, because you're right! There is very iffy interaction.

Although I disagree, the heal makes perfect sense in my eyes. I guess the only iffy one is the third skill, however, I find there to be one iffy skill on all the heroes, so it isn't a total desecration.
"I'll come to Florida one day and make you look like a damn princess." ~Hep

Pigger
Revenent of the Replies

Post by Pigger » Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:06 am

Storm wrote:
Hell_Tempest wrote:I think Pigger pretty much summed it up.
Yeah, I like my submitted version a lot more. :x
You could just replace Envenom with the blink strike and give it a condition.
Problem with that though Storm is your hero is still the "Click Click Kill" type hero, which was what Dusk was trying to get away from with his, hence the two non-target actives and only one target, but yes, that would make your hero really amazing.

That is true that each has an iffy skill, like I said in the conclusion that you only made each hero in a short time period, with more thought each could be amazing, but still, its up to the voters!

Daryll-The-Damned
Captain Caption

Post by Daryll-The-Damned » Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:55 am

The voters want Canus apparently.

I'm pretty sure that by now, everyone who is going to vote has voted...Maybe one or two more.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Pestilence :: Rocky the V :: Buz-Ze :: Zen :: The Kid:: Imperius

BD423
Holder of the Alt-F4

Post by BD423 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:25 am

looks like trav(hero i wanted in) is gonna lose by a small margin :*(
I swear to drunk im not god.

The Colonel
Letter Linguist

Post by The Colonel » Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:45 am

I want travy to win!

RadON
Wielder of the Ctrl-Alt-Delete

Post by RadON » Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:55 am

WE CANNOT ALLOW THIS TO HAPPEN! CREATE NEW ACCOUNTS AND SPAM VOTES FOR TRAVAYL!

Kings_Mercy
Revenent of the Replies

Post by Kings_Mercy » Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:56 am

Now watch Daryll is goint to pull 30 votes out of his rectal area and win this XD

TheColonel(Repaired)

Post by TheColonel(Repaired) » Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:27 am

*Laughs manically*

This account is from back when my normal account was stolen, for those who wonder.

Kings_Mercy
Revenent of the Replies

Post by Kings_Mercy » Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:55 am

So you voted twice?........

The Colonel
Letter Linguist

Post by The Colonel » Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:13 am

Maybe.

>_> <_<

Kings_Mercy
Revenent of the Replies

Post by Kings_Mercy » Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:18 am

Yea alright way to cheat....Im assuming his second vote is going to be removed....

Return to “Hero Contest #2”